Sunday, November 30, 2008

Why Black Friday sucks

It doesn't suck because I had to work. It sucks because I loathe everything that the day after Thanksgiving stands for.

Think about it for a moment. People line up in the bone-chilling cold with little to no sleep as they seek out bargains on items that they could very likely do without. Do you really need that $12 set of pans? Sure, it's cool to have that 55" LCD HDTV hanging on the wall in your living room but this year you may instead want to focus on your mortgage payment so you actually have a wall you can drill a hole in.

My other problem with Black Friday isn't so much about the wild, uncontrollable spending as it is about the people who choose to shop that day. As I found out, it seems that the true professional shoppers who have a goal in mind hit the stores before the sun is even seen. The rookies or looky-loos as my mom would call them seem to occupy the hours from noon onward. Unfortunately for me, it was after 4 PM when I arrived at Target in search of the much-advertised $299 LCD HDTV which would have been the replacement for our beleagured upstairs hoopty.

Sure, I struck out not just at the Shakopee Target but also the Savage location but it didn't bother me so much that this phenomenal deal was sold out. What did bother me was that people seemed intent on browsing on Black Friday. That's like going to a Minnesota Timberwolves game because you love professional basketball. Chances are that you'll piss people off on Black Friday with your casual, slow-paced, feet-shuffling window shopping and your choice of a Timberwolves game for some pro hoops action will leave you sorely disappointed.

Hey, everyone has the choice of when and where to shop but much like driving 40 miles per hour on the freeway, keep to the right.

What were you thankful for during this Thanksgiving weekend? If it was great photos from Minnesota's best photographers, check out MinnPics!

10 comments:

Bill Roehl said...

I'm owned :(

Natasha Call said...

I like sleeping too much to get up at 4 am to stand in the cold and in the dark to get trampled to get the $12 set of pans:) I really like your blog! I have fav'd you on Technorati and have added you to my link list on my blog at http://issuesoncall.blogspot.com. I hope that you'll return the favor, and I am looking forward to more interesting and humorous posts! You do some great writing!

MJ said...

This is kind of like when you are trying to run an errand on your lunch break, and the old, slow, retired people who have nothing better to do are the people inevitably in front of you on that two-lane road.

Leah said...

I love my material goods as much as anybody, but even better is money in my pocket. 3am Black Friday found me at work making time and a half.

cathouse teri said...

I tell ya what. If I had the shopping experiences you do, I would probably give it up entirely. :)

Did you know you can order stuff from Target online?

Sornie said...

Until Target delivers gallons of Milk and now diapers directly to my door for the prices I can get in the store I am stuck trudging through the bullseye's doors.

Memarie Lane said...

i read on another blog that target was doing rain checks for their black friday stuff.

Sornie said...

If they are, I had better do some research and get that TV!

cathouse teri said...

Hee. I meant you can buy a TV online! And curtains and stuff! :)

Sornie said...

What about cold medicine Teri? My head weaghs a solid metric ton and I need something...