Sunday, April 06, 2008

Weather doesn't equal fear

Just because local TV outlets are down one so-called weather terrorist with the firing of WCCO's Paul Douglas last week it doesn't mean that fear of the weather isn't alive and well in the Twin Cities. Yes, leave it to the local ink-stained wretches at the Star-Tribune to induce weather-related fear in the meek with a prominent (at least on the web) story about how a tornado could very well barrel through downtown Minneapolis. They even went as far as to include an ominous looking photo. It almost made me wet myself. Thank God I'm sporting Depends today.
Of course their reasoning is that a tornado struck downtown Atlanta, Georgia recently killing one and injuring dozens but these damn weather terrorists are getting to be a bit much. It seems that they've cozied up to our new found culture of fear in our post-9/11 world. Maybe the real terrorists, if George Bush stops looking behind the Oval Office curtains (for those mythical WMDs), are on our TV screens m midway through our 10 PM newscasts.

Maybe I'm fed up because I actually was intrigued by a History channel show called "Mega Disasters" which featured the impending doom of a modern day dustbowl in the western states. Maybe I'm fed up because even the smallest weather events are hyped beyond all believability. The fear mongers at FOX 9 are the worst of the bunch. Or maybe I'm fed up because the weather just happens. Whether we're prepared or not, it's coming and it's always changing. Yesterday was sunny at 65 degrees and there could be snow flakes for my Monday morning commute. It happens. It changes. Be prepared, don't be afraid. And if you are afraid, I have some extra Depends.

7 comments:

The Future Was Yesterday said...

I'm originally from Michigan, now living in SC. Strangely, Michigan did the fear routine much more than down here, for some reason. They both use the weather to hype...but what's new?

The biggest problem we have down here is Technology Meets Idiot. All the super computer stuff makes awesome pictures, but when it's a "live" situation, and minutes count, we only have one station that gets it close to right, and that one's nothing to write home about.

buffalodickdy said...

When you don't have news, create some! Fear and greed are the two biggest motivators in our current society- I just choose not to participate...

Beth said...

I think you have to get over this fear - you are far too young to be wearing Depends.

Michelle Ann said...

I couldn't agree more. Many years ago, MAD TV made fun of all this weather hype where they kept interrupting the other skits to cover "Windstorm 98". It would cut to a reporting pointing to a straw wrapper stating, "This wrapper was just 5 feet away a mere 15 minutes ago"

HILARIOUS!

Sornie said...

My Depends are more of a "just in case" sort of thing. Or not. For the MAD TV skit, I can almost write that one in my head. An almost too accurate portrayal of real life.

No said...

HOLD UP--- I couldn't read the past the Paul Douglas getting fired...details please..You are my main source of Twin Cities gossip..do tell.

Brendan said...

Good rant. The weather coverage is one of only many, many reasons why I ever watch TV news, but it is a big one.