Thursday, April 17, 2008

Buy our stuff -- this weekend only!

The garage sale seems to be a rite of passage as one fully enters into adulthood. Sure, you'd think that getting married would tend to make a guy gravitate towards adulthood but my fart jokes contradict that. You might also expect that having a baby on the way would catapult a guy fully into adulthood. Wrong again, that just signals -- according to a freind of mine -- that my boys can swim.

Well it turns out that a garage sale means that adulthood is full reality. Sure, I've been at least partially mature for many years but making garage sale signs is just like a drill sargeant telling you that your pushups make you look like a little girl. It's on. There's a deadline to get the signs made. We have a lot of stuff to set up and I know I'll be stuck peddling the tables of crap at least part of the day Saturday.

But who's to say how little fun it will be? I look at it as a fabulous opportunity to overhear odd conversations and view the behavior of a certain cross section of society. Yes, the cross section that feverishly hunts for hidden gems at garage sales (a.k.a. the last step before the thrift store or Goodwill).

Our garage sale, though, is different and despite what others say in their garage sale ads, ours is the best. We literally have everything including the bathroom sink (it even says it in the Craigslist ad I posted). If you expected the kitchen sink to be for sale, it isn't because it's still being used in our kitchen.

So if you want to buy someone else's crap barely used goods and make them your own, come see us as we haul our crap cherished possessions out to the semi-rural city of Belle Plaine, Minnesota -- it's just 15 minutes from the twin cities suburbs and an half hour drive from Minneapolis and it's city-wide garage sale weekend in Belle Plaine!

9 comments:

Michelle Ann said...

I hate garage sales...I don't have it in me to spend my day off haggling with some stranger over crap I don't want anymore. I end up giving my stuff to someone else to add to their sale and they can keep the proceeds. And I get to spend my Saturday loafing about as God intended.

Bill Roehl said...

My mother was a huge garage sale person; however she was never much the buyer, always the seller of a multitude of wares to the unsuspecting "sale sailor".

One year she teamed with two other families and had a neighborhood wide sale that stretched around our circular neighborhood. The line of cars stretched for miles. The sole thing I remember from the ensuing traffic jam was my father threatening to ram some "idiot" who was blocking his way with a cart full of "shit".

Good luck w/the sale!

Sornie said...

I like mayhem and Bill, that's the type of madness I want, no, expect. Come one, you know you want that bathroom vanity top from our remodel...

Gjelly said...

I love city wide garage sales! Ours is the first weekend in May. Someone usually has one of those stands that sells cheap hotdogs. Yum. Oh, and when it's over everyone throws their junk to the curb. And the city picks it up for free. Or weirdos come by and take it

Sornie said...

Um, who ya' calling a weirdo?

The Future Was Yesterday said...

Rockin' good post, dude!:) My first wife used to just go ape over garage sales. "But it was only .75!!!"

The next year, I'm dragging that treasure out hoping some sucker will buy it - for .25!:)

Garage sales are how packrats can keep both a clear conscience, and not lose any of their "goodies" at the same time, for a year!:)

No said...

Did anyone notice the pregnancy thing? I was going to mention a few posts back, but I've thought I mentioned it a bunch too times already: Once and for all....is there a little Sornie or Ms. Sornie on the way?

buffalodickdy said...

Over the years my wife has held about 3 of them, with other women in the 'hood.... We end up buying their crap, and them buying ours...

Bill Roehl said...

Being that my father was referenced in this post, I will guess on the "mid-November" date as his birthday of 11/17.

Good luck!