Wednesday, March 19, 2008

An odd Twin Cities trend

I thought nothing of it the first time a few months back when I glanced over at a stoplight on my commute home and noticed a guy with his head bobbing to the beat of what I can only assume was music. It wasn't odd that he was very in touch with his musical choice for his ride home. No, it was odd that he was smoking a pipe.

It's nothing new. Hell, I've seen plenty of people indulge in the suaveness that is smoking a pipe but the folks indulging were usuall of a certain age (cough - senior citizens). This guy, though, might have been younger than I am. To top that, he wasn't smoking a straight (I don't know my pipe terms) pipe but one more like this humdinger. Yep, sort of a crook-neck affair was what this guy was rockin'.

I thought little of it until a couple of weeks later when, at that very same stoplight, I noticed a person again smoking a pipe as I peered into my rear view mirror. The biggest difference this time was that it was a woman, again near my age, sitting in her red Dodge Shadow non-chalantly smoking a pipe.

Theories abound in my weird, wonderful world but I can assume at least two things from these observations. Pipe smoking seems to be a strictly after work activity and pipe smoking now crosses all age boundaries and spans a wide demographic.

Am I alone, though? Have others witnessed an increase in use of tobacco pipes? Is this a new trend I missed out on or is it just a Minnesota oddity?

10 comments:

Michelle Ann said...

In my neighborhood, I see people passing a joint around the car. A pipe? Now, that is different.

cathouse teri said...

I'm just impressed that you know your pipe terms!

Bill Roehl said...

I've seen a few people smoking glass pieces, held low, which are obviously filled with something illegal but I haven't seen anyone, in recent memory, smoking tobacco.

Sornie said...

I am curious about these "illegal substances" and "joints" you speak of. Do tell. This is entirely new information to me.

VE said...

Other than that bong that I had errr saw, I have never seen anyone smoking a pipe in their car. I've seen a lot of pipes smoking from the back of a car though. Obviously I have to conclude that you have an exceptionally keen pipe observing gift or that Minnesota is becomming overrun with a pipe smoking fad...

Brooke said...

My sister bought her boyfriend a pipe that sounds similar to what you have described...and he is 24. I shall have to account for his whereabouts a few months ago....

snowelf said...

I've never seen anyone over here with a pipe, but probably because you can't put a beer and a pipe in your mouth at the same time.

--snow

Whiskeymarie said...

I saw a twenty-something guy the other day smoking a pipe whilst sporting a curlicue old-timey mustache.
Odd.

The Future Was Yesterday said...

Am I alone, though? Have others witnessed an increase in use of tobacco pipes? Is this a new trend I missed out on or is it just a Minnesota oddity?
I don't think you're alone, nor is it a Minnesota oddity. As others have pointed out, perhaps you're not aware of how "Diversified" pipes are.:)

That not withstanding, it seems pipes are increasingly the symbol of "(put your favorite wanna be here)." Why that is...no idea.

justacoolcat said...

When I lived in Uptown, 10 years ago, I saw people smoking pipes all the time.