Sunday, March 23, 2008

The great divide

In working on a double top secret project at the big-time media conglomerate super office, I was curious who's getting mentioned where and how often and stumbled upon a PBS blog entry mentioning MNSpeak and how despite its all-encompassing name, its zip code-based map tells a different story.

It's a boring topic to a lot of folks but the PBS link mentioned earlier discusses whether or not citizen journalism (blogs & other forms) are still mainly metropolitan based. I tend to think so. But maybe I'm wrong. Using the tag "mnvoices" on del.icio.us tells a different story.

So with an informal poll, I am curious where my readers come from. I know that most of the folks who comment here also blog in some way, shape or form but how close to a major metropolitan area do you live or work? The geeks at Google tell me that most of my traffic here is from Minnesota and more specifically the Twin Cities. Maybe they come for the in-depth conversations about pubic hair or swimming bunnies that may or may not lead me straight to hell but I tend to think it's for my stellar music feature on Fridays.

But the great divide isn't so great. I still have my phone and thanks to the folks at Samsung who created such an affordable (free) cell phone, I was able to determine that the farm economy is about to take a huge downward turn thanks to the global marketplace, petro-chemical prices (fertilizer, chemicals and fuel) and the fact that the farm economy directly reflects the general U.S. economy only delayed by a handful of months and amplified in extremity means that a general economy upswing is about a year away.

Confused yet? See, I've covered citizen journalism, name-checked PBS, Google & MNSpeak, done some self-promotion, covered the timely topic of the economy and asked questions. I await your feedback...

9 comments:

cathouse teri said...

I live about 20 miles from Virginia Beach.

Bill Roehl said...

Unfortunately, I live in the South Metro. It's not unfortunate for anything other than the simple fact that I'm absolutely tired of this winter.

Beth said...

I come from Toronto (big city) and have no idea how I originally found your blog. I visit because you're funny!

betmo said...

your stats are probably inaccurate because they may not take into account folk who read you from a reader- i have google reader- and i read more than i comment. but fyi- i live about 4 hours from nyc- and i live in an upstate urban center- binghamton is a hub between the other big cities of upstate- syracuse, rochester, etc. i am an hour from syracuse and about 2-2 1/2 from rochester and albany. that's your geography lesson for the day :)

VE said...

I come from the planet VE. My mission is to dumbify civilization just enough through my juvinile blog until society isn't intelligent enough to fight back the world domination of my people. Either that or I come from Portland, OR...

Slick said...

I read this post 4 times and I'm still confused! You're a smart, smart man!

Anyway, I got you blogrolled...so that's where I usually come from :)

Beth said...

huh?

cathouse teri said...

Slick is funny. I dunno where I come from, I just click on the thing and I'm here! :)

Hey, Slick, just skim over the words and they become much clearer. Read like... every other sentence.

Sornie said...

I like the consensus of some that these words that exit my fingertips and make their way onto the keys of the glorious and all-powerful iMac are funny to some. And it's cool that those who commented here today are from pretty much all over. I had sorta figured so but had assumed close to big cities like maybe Waco, TX or Fort Dodge, IA. I am most impressed with Toronto and have to ask, how's Canada, eh?