Monday, February 04, 2008

A revelation of sorts

As we "dined" Friday evening on sandwiches at a conveniently located Erbert & Gerbert's sub shop, I realized that I have no idea how to handle myself in the presence of the mentally ill.

Think back for a moment and recall if you have ever been educated on how to be cordial when around the mentally ill. See, there are just a some things that schools, no matter how progressive, would never touch.

It happened about half way through our dining experience as a rahter disheveled and unkempt man in his late 50s sauntered through the door and asked for not just one cup for water but for two. I initially thought he was just a rather unique individual who was a recluse that happened to surface to make our night a bit more interesting. I couldn't have been more wrong.

Not long after he parked himself at the table next to ours, he shuffled up to the counter and began berating one of the employees abut how kids are always sick and that at one point in time (possibly when he was sane) restaurant managers knew how to keep their employees healthy. His mutterance of the secret included a dose of both Robitussin and NyQuil. But be sure to only do the double dose once each week. I am thinking this may have been from his own experience that twice weekly was the straw that broke the camel's back.

The rest of the conversation he was having with himself was interesting to say the least. He rambled on about how teenagers are a fire hazard and seemed to have a pattern to how he drank the two glasses of water. Two sips from one, one from the other. Literally a method to his madness.

I did my best to be a civil person and focus on my sandwich while stifling my laughter. Some things you just shouldn't laugh at but the random smirks on my face caused my wife to do some audible laughing and when someone else tries to not laugh, that makes stifling the laughter that much harder.

I will say this: Coca-Cola burns when it tries to exit from your nose.

4 comments:

snowelf said...

Oh Sornie, this post is just so outrageously funny because it is so true!! You can't help but find humor in something like that.

I'm totally going to hell now...

--snow

Hammer said...

I've been around enough crazy people in my time that my first instinct would be to run like hell before the guy started talking to me.

Sornie said...

I am lucky he didn't try to strike up a conversation with me because I might have tried to out-crazy him.

No said...

I think I may have met that man in K-Mart last week; he was disappointed in the pillow section, but he finally settled on 2 along with his purchase of razors...kind of scared me...