Friday, February 01, 2008

Calm like a bomb

Sometimes, the icons of yesteryear fade quickly and vanish without notice. Other times they languish for far too long and spiral into obscurity in easy view of the public eye.

I had thought the latter to be true for 80s-era party band The B52s. It seemed to be a sure thing with appearances on a few VH1 list/countdown shows of vapid musical moments but the newly toned-up and slimmed down 80s schlock-rockers are back with a new single entitled "Funbox" and a new album to follow shortly.

It's weird to hear the band that made songs like "Love Shack" and "Rock Lobster" popular party faves and guilty pleasures all in the same breath back on the edge of the limelight but I've actually heard "Funbox" on both Minneapolis' 89.3 The Current and L.A.'s Indie 103.1 and to me those are both trendsetter radio stations and it was a damn good tune still well within the style of the B52s but ramped up for a new audience in a way that won't scare away old fans.




Do I expect the B52s to come back in all of their 80s glory? Probably not. Will they have a moderate resurgence in popularity an sell a healthy amount of downloads of "Funbox" as well as others from their catalog? You bet your beehive they will.

5 comments:

justacoolcat said...

Funny. The B-52's kept coming up on my shuffle last night. It's amazing how some of their songs are still a breath of fresh air.

justacoolcat said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
buffalodickdy said...

The B-52s kicked ass, but they were pretty old people in the 80s'.. I got a "cassette" and I thought they were great...

Anonymous said...

Well, thank you for writing about music...user friendly music. Thanks, I like reading blogs and this is the most interesting blog I've read I found this video and it brought so many memories. Thank you for that. Hope my posting is clear since my native language is not English. Well bye for now and keep up with the good blog!

Balou said...

I'm doing my part. "Love Shack" is the ringtone when hubby calls. It's also a big hit at every wedding dance I've been to the past few years.