Monday, January 07, 2008

What will 2008 hold?

As 2008 has begun in all of its shit-tastic glory, I have to wonder if the rest of the year can possibly outshine the polished turd that has been the first partial week of the new year.

There are plenty of things I have learned from the first few days of the new year that I plan on stockpiling in my "lessons learned" file.

The first lesson is that the wife's friend whose sick child had a chest-rattling broncheal cough will, regardless of distance kept, make each and every adult within 1,000 feet sick with one ailment or another. The second part of this lesson is that said mother will still refuse to take her child to a physician (a.k.a. doctor).

The second lesson is that no matter what you remember from years past, things will change in the present. Sure, I remember paying sub-$1.00 per gallon prices for gasoline but I've officially had a driver's license for, well, quite some time (since I was 15 to be honest) and even then when prices crept to about $1.30/gallon I noticed. When we bought our house and moved (just about three years ago) we were accustomed to gas prices at $1.75/gallon. Sure, today prices hover at about $3.05/gallon and, frankly, it totally sucks but I have to say that things can always be worse. We could, for instance, have to wait in line for our gas.

The third lesson is as follows... "Just be happy you have a job". It's not so much a lesson as a phrase. An overused, full of crap phrase if there ever was one. Sure, it's great to have a job but you have the right to demand better. With CEOs making exorbitant salaries (Target's CEO raked in just over $30 million in 2007), the bread and butter of their companies are getting screwed. Benefits get slashed, raises (if there are any) don't even come close to keeping up with inflation. Remember this -- to get ahead in wages, you need a huge promotion or quit and get a new job.

The fourth and final lesson is that a shiny new car is nothing but road bling. I know this because my car is 14 years old this year. Sure, it has some skin cancer and is somewhat loud but I commute and could give a shit about the looks of "Rhett". I chose the name just now because it's close to the word "wreck". It is filthy with road sult and winter sludge and I just don't care. It's far less important in terms of appearance than how one dresses or presents themselves because you can leave your car parked around the corner but you can't do that with your clothes.

6 comments:

Enemy of the Republic said...

I really don't know how to top that. The job one speaks to me--in a pathological way.

Brendan said...

Good rant, Sornie, especially the part about CEO pay.

Since I'm an incorrigible nit-picker, I am unable to resist the urge to point out that lessons 2 and 4 are somewhat contradictory: an older car generally uses more gas, not to mention being likely to be more of a polluter. Granted, it'll take a while to make up the purchase price by realizing gas savings, but, as I said, I can't avoid any opportunity to pick a nit.

Okay, I'll go away now.

Jeff said...

I'm with ya brother! I still drive a '91 Geo Prism to work every day even though it looks like crap. The fact is it gets 38 mpg and an 8 gallon fill-up lasts me 2 weeks!

Hammer said...

Great thing about a 14 year old car is that no one messes with it.

Sornie said...

Rhett even looks lived in. Trust me.

The Future Was Yesterday said...

"Just be happy you have a job".
That phrase makes my coffee cold, too. Maybe we ALL should one day just stay home....and keep staying home until it's figured out who makes their billions possible.

I know....what are you smoking?:)