Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Unabashed love... for a movie

I'll come right out and say it -- I loved "Juno". Hell, I knew I would love the movie when I saw a trailer for it late last summer. I knew it would be a hit not because the screenwriter, Diablo Cody, called the Twin Cities her home but because it's the best example of stellar writing I've seen in a long time.

This is one movie whose buzz stand up after watching it. The characters feel real, the dialogue flows effortlessly and the setting of the Minneapolis metro area rings true to me because I call it home as well. The location-dropping with mentions of Mankato, St. Cloud and Ridgedale perked my ears up because I can relate personally to those locales.

All home-town rooting aside, "Juno" is the best movie of 2007. Its roots are in the comedy genre but it touches on the full range of emotions. The scene in which lead character Juno brushes off her baby-daddy, Bleeker, shows that actor Michael Cera can display a multitude of feelings. He shows in that one scene that the one-time encounter with Juno, played by Ellen Page, truly meant something to him. That feeling of intense teenage romance comes to the surface in the post-birth scene where the once-rejected Bleeker comforts Juno. From there, with the movie nearing its final minutes, you can sense what sort of conclusion the film will have.
I won't give any more tidbits away but the selection of the actors including such big names as Jennifer Garner and Jason Bateman plays well and to think that it all started with a chair...

What matters my opinion though, what movies, current or further back, from 2007 made an indelible impression on you?

7 comments:

choochoo said...

There's yet another movie I'll have to see, then. I wonder how I'll ever get away from the tv...

Karlo said...

Finally, a good movie to see!

T. said...

i refuse to see juno because i'm boycotting movies that glorify slacker hipster geeks, especially when they seem chock full of that dry, ironic Michawl Ian Black-like wit. as you can guess, i've not seen on apatow flick yet, or chuck on nbc either.

Beth said...

The blog world is loving this movie. Yours is the fourth blog I've read praising it. Juno is on my list.

Adam said...

told you 'juno' was good. and to anyone not watching anything with any involvement by judd apatow- you're only hurting yourself (except 'walk hard'. don't watch 'walk hard'). his are some of the best movies i've seen in the last few years. 40 year old virgin, knocked up and the apatow produced superbad are classics as far as i'm concerned.

Sornie said...

I had no doubt that "Juno" was excellent. I am becoming a big Apatow fan, too, though the two topics are totally unrelated. Apatow's earlier word, Undeclared and Freaks & Geeks, is some of the best TV nobody watched.

Shari said...

First movie review on a blog for me. Hmm, I guess I'll have to go and watch it. I like comedies.