Thursday, January 24, 2008

Sonic garbage: a new phenomenon?

No bones about it, I simply loathe the commercial radio choices (for the most part) in the greater Minneapolis area. Why stop there though? The radio landscape in American, generally speaking, sucks. Not to point fingers but the simple fact that nobody with the power to make waves in radio is remotely willing to take a chance on anythng different at the risk of alienating a few listeners which translates into losing coveted advertisers is just one of many things that's wrong with today's radio landscape.

The revelation that the bulk of what is heard on what used to be known as "Top 40" radio stations is nothing short of SONIC GARBAGE came to me as I flipped the switch on the trusty alarm clock to the "armed" position and heard what the kids call a "song" by what I can only assume was the latest rapper to make a splash by being someone from the crew of Lil' Pimp, Lil' Drugrunner or Lil' Slutbanger.

Thanks to the miracles of technology, I found the very "song" which set me off. Look, there it is just to piss you off.



See, Sonic Garbage.

It's a sad statement on America when this kind of shit passes as music. Sure, I sound like a stuffy old codger but the music I listened to in my not-so-distant past was nothing like this bile. I am positive that it grated against my parent's every nerve but there were real lyrics and real instruments. I find it hard to believe that the age group this crap is targeted at actually wants to hear this ghetto-fabulous Sonic Garbage.

Not that I'm totally anti-hip-hop -- I like plenty of Kanye West, Justin Timberlake, 50 Cent and a host of others and as Minnesota Public Radio station The Current launched I became an instant fan of Minneapolis rapper Atmosphere with his collection of local shoutouts named "Say Shh". My tastes are diverse but there is no room for Sonic Garbage.



What, if anything, do you listen to that you wouldn't openly admit to? And you can't say Jim Nabors because who doesn't love Nabors.

10 comments:

Old Panda said...

I'm glad you mentioned the Current at the end of your post. I feel that the Current, as well as KRLX, are the only sources of good music in Minneapolis.

I share your concern about the unfortunate passing of crap as music - particularly rap music containing materialistic and woman objectifying focused lyrics. They do nothing for me, and they sure as hell don't help out any of our societal problems.

Good, turn to Atmosphere. Also check out Brother Ali. There are others, but these two are good examples, role models for others. They actually have valuable content, lyrics, in their songs that isolate the unfortunate truths about poverty and racism in our down nation.

peace,
www.oldpanda.com

Brendan said...

What, if anything, do you listen to that you wouldn't openly admit to?

One of the reasons I don't have kids is that I'm deathly afraid that they'd find out how much I use to like The Doors.

I don't listen to them anymore. Of course, it's hard for you to say whether this is the truth, or that I'm just not openly admitting it.

No said...

I secretly like some of Barry Mannilow's tunes like "Cocacobana" and "Many" and "Time in New England." Oh, God, I'm pathetic, aren't I? I can safely say, I still hate Air Supply, though.

No said...

"Many"- "Mandy"

and oh, yeah, I do like the Doors, but I do openly admit that I like them.

H said...

Lil' Slutbanger - loved that.

There is nothing wrong with being a Doors fan.

My guilty musical pleasures: Britney Spears' "Toxic" and a handful of 90s country songs. There isn't really anything I listen to that I'm ashamed to admit to.

As far as hip-hop goes, Atmosphere and Brother Ali are fantastic. And I love Talib Kweli and Common.

Countess B said...

I have no shame. I openly love Barry Manilow, Neil Diamond, Air Supply, Chicago, plus an assortment of new stuff.

I guess the only time I'm embarrassed is when I'm caught singing something from The Wiggles

Beth said...

Lots of music I listen to that I wouldn't openly admit to - and still won't!

Brooke said...

Showtunes.

Go on. Punish me.

Frankly, it's my daughter's fault, at two years old she has the kind of high pitched shriek that makes it easy to bow to her wishes. When we are in the car with her it's a choice between Sesame Street-Platinum edition or the soundtrack from Hairspray (the movie, not the show). Can you blame me for going with the latter?

Speaking of, living twenty minutes from NYC makes me privy to every ear-splitting crap Broadway show commercial known to man. When Wicked first came out I had to endure a SERIOUSLY irritating warble of, POP-u-lar! I'm gonna be pop-YOO-oo-lar sixty million times a day. It's enough to make you want to drive into a wall...

Mama Drama Jenny, the Bloggess said...

I recently bought "Now That's What I Call Music 26". I feel properly ashamed everytime I listen to it.

Balou said...

ABBA. Yeah. I've got a thing for the swingin' Swedes. Shhh. Don't tell anyone. Doh!

A friend called last week on one of the -10 days and said she saw a sign outside of a garden center "Too cold to work, home listening to Jim Nabors albums."