Tuesday, January 15, 2008

It's all about the Lady Speedstick

The other night, as I often times do, I was bitching about our lot in life. (Okay, I'm being a bit dramatic but I was bitching none the less) If you know me, you already know that I have a short temper but am a good listener, I am bitter and complain alot but am generally happy with things and that I work hard but don't take things very seriously. In short, I am a walking contradiction. Sure, I am passionate about certain topics but those take a back seat to my generally lacksadaisical temperament and overall approach to life.

Well, I was getting down on myself the other night because of some recent developments. I went on about how the old career isn't always cutting it and I know that I have a fairly decent source of income that allows me to design, write, eat at my desk, work flexible hours, generate ideas which are solely mine, explore those ideas as ventures and generally be my own person but as with anything, it could always be better. Sure, I haven't had to sell my soul (meaning I still can wear jeans to work and the occassional t-shirt) to do something that I truly enjoy (wow).

My wife helped me though, she said "You are going to make it big".

I paused for a second to contemplate just what she meant.

I had never thought of myself in that way and had never thought about what it means to 'make it big'.

I guess that means that she thinks we won't have to cash in savings bonds in an attempt to cover the mortgage payment -- even if it is on a rather rare occassion. Maybe she means that I will parlay one of my side-interests into something actually profitable.Maybe that means I'll never have to wear woman's deodorant again because mine ran out. Maybe she (and others) sees the potential of what I am doing at work. Maybe that means the next time something fun comes up with my best friends that I won't have to miss out on it because we are too busy saving our own financial hides and that I'll have the luxury of that extra cash to take the day off from work and spend some money with those guys, my oldest friends who have seen my highs and my lows and everything in between. And I know they'll appreciate what I give back which may or may not be some fine smoked meat in a couple weeks as well as that back and forth we commoners refer to as "friendship"...

6 comments:

Countess B said...

See, that's the good part about being married. They see the best you, even when you are at your worst.

Good for her...

BTW, I've had to do the savings bonds thing when we had our second child.....I'm just glad we had that to fall back on...

Hammer said...

It's great to have a woman that stands behind you. It makes all the difference in the world.

Beth said...

If your wife (who probably knows you better than anyone else does) thinks you are "going to make it big" - then you undoubtedly will.
Until then, sharing deodorant isn't that bad...

C-dell said...

sounds like you and your wife have it made pretty good if I do say so myself

People in the Sun said...

I prefer sharing a deodorant with a homeless hobo than using my wife's. Not sure why. It is unscented, but still... I think it makes me feel like I'm using her makeup or something. Not that there's anything wrong with wearing makeup. Damn, the hole I'm digging just gets bigger and bigger.

No said...

What exactly do you do anyway?