Wednesday, January 02, 2008

How many licks does it take?

We all remember that cheesy mid-70s commercial with the owl and the mildly-retarded kid discussing how many licks it takes to get to the center of a Tootsie-Pop. We all remember, too, what happened when the owl got impatient. He took one gapingly large crunching bite and pronounced the answer to be three licks.

Ask my wife, though, and her answer would be far different. Her answer would likely be filled with profanities, possibly tears and death threats for the makers of Tootsie-Pops. That's because that one crunching bite chipped a chunk from one of her molars. A molar which just so happens to contain a hulking filling from her childhood spent going to a rather shady dentist. A mistake which is costing us now as much as a communist-made automobile (think Yugo).

Yes, she'll likely be the proud recipient of another crown. If this pace keeps up, she'll soon be royalty -- at least in her molars. And that, my friends, is how we ring in the new year (well, that and wine, various shooters and champagne)!

5 comments:

Beth said...

Your wife has my sincere sympathies. I cracked a molar eating a Crispy Crunch chocolate bar. It's a sad, sad day when you have to eliminate certain candy from the treat menu.

Happy 2008!

(I have tried posting this comment three times!)

Jeff said...

I'm sporting a giant temporary filling in one of my molars right now while I wait for my appointment to get a new crown. This is the 3rd of my childhood fillings that has fallen out in the last year. Apparently they have a limited lifespan. Good luck... I feel her pain. Literally.

Hammer said...

Oh yeah if a piece of ice or a candy hits a weak fracture point it's a mess.

Here's to a speedy recovery.

T. said...

I wish you a speedy recovery! And yeah, that Tootsie Pop kid was truly retarded.

The Future Was Yesterday said...

The filling business back then wasn't quite what it is now, inn terms of materials, and technology.

But the costs now.....!! You shouldn't have to shudder twice from one dental problem!!