Monday, January 21, 2008

Do the evolution

No bones about it, I am all about the visuals. I am a visual learner and I am very visually stimulated (not that way you pervs). I work in a visual field and was intrigued when I stumbled on to a conversation about sports team logos (yes, during a KFAN show). The talk was of the NFL and how the New England Patriots logo was both the best and the worst logo in all of sports.

That conversation got me thinking about the evolution of the logos of our very own Minnesota teams, specifically our professional hockey teams. To briefly set up the situation, Minnesota has been the home to two professional (NHL) hockey teams. Our original team was the Minnesota Northstars who played at the Met Center in suburban Bloomington until moving to Dallas, Texas in 1993. Their former arena is today a parking lot on the north side of the Mall of America. The state's new hockey team, the Minnesota Wild, came to St. Paul in 1999 and call the Xcel Energy Center home.

The differences in the image portrayed by the teams is staggering. The original Northstars came to be in the 1960s and over the course of their 30 year existence, their image changed very little with the team's most notable logo change coming towards the very end of their Minnesota existence. While the simple "Stars" logo looks bland in comparison to many of today's aggressively styled images, it still exists today as the team skates at the American Airlines Center in Dallas.

In contrast, the Minnesota Wild's logo seems far less extreme or abstract than many of the updated logos sported by new or old NHL teams. The color scheme as well as the design elements echo the scenery of a good portion of outstate Minnesota's north woods. The pine trees depicted in the logo fill much of the land north of the metropolitan area of east-central Minnesota and the colors, while strikingly displayed on the team's alternate red-dominated jerseys, are also rather soothing with the natural tan and green colors all the while being actually complimented by the seemingly aggressive animal mascot of the team.

In short, the logo of the Minnesota Wild has followed the evolution of design that happened in less than a decade but didn't take the design to an abstract style akin to the Buffalo Sabres who nearly went bankrupt last year.

So, I can state now that while I appreciate the tried and true classic designs of days gone by I am far more appreciative of the design of the Minnesota Wild's logo. I won't go as far as to say that it's the best in all of the NHL but it's close. I am sure, though, that I'm not alone in my liking of sports logos. What logo(s) particularly trip your trigger? Have you ever seen one and thought "What the hell...?"

7 comments:

No said...

Come on Sornie, you designed it, right?

Sornie said...

Maybe I did but it's more likely that I didn't.

choochoo said...

Maybe you have an evil twin/second personality who designed it while you were asleep? That can happen, I've seen it on TV, so it must be true.

Beth said...

I have a bit of trouble with abstract logos. For many (most) of the logos in the NHL I tend to look and say, "What the hell is that?"
Now, MY team, has a pretty basic logo. The Maple Leaf...

Jeff said...

I with you, although I'm partial because I'm a fellow Minnesotan. However, I'm still pissed the Stars went to Dallas.

Sornie said...

I think that sometimes mediocre teams, regardless of the tradition, need to be purged from their surroundings. At least we got a fairly decent team out of the loss of the Stars and got a killer arena (on the wrong side of the Cities) to boot!

No said...

Yeah, I'm a bit pissed that they went to Dallas too...I sitll have my Northstar's dorm jersey from college; maybe it is worth something now; maybe I'll sell it on e-bay....nah...