Monday, December 17, 2007

A project update

Last week, I alluded to a certain project we had been working on for the better part of a month in our spare time and on weekends. The weekend that just passed marked a triumphant point in the progress of this project.

Before I go on, I think all those who commented were correct in their guess that this was indeed a bathroom remodel. (pics to come) All who guessed correctly are the proud recipients of a 4-way split of 5,000 points (more on the point structure later).

The good news is that the floor tile is completely laid. The less-than-good news is that we ran out of grout yesterday with about 10 feet of grout lines left to finish. The good news is that we had to return some tile so we picked up more grout. The less-than-good news is that I also had to pick up a transition strip which had to be painted -- twice -- before installation with the grout. Yet another project for tonight.

Missing items include doors (room, closet and vanity), toilet and touch-up paint.

On the door front, I am in the process of stripping and re-painting the 100-plus year old four panel door which will suck as I freeze to death on the 3-1/2-season porch with the toxic fumes warping my brain further still. I also have to get rolling on installing and trimming the new bi-fold closet door after I unearth it from the garage and paint it. I have a goal of completing everything (less the window casing and trim work) by Thursday night so I can finish one thing before Christmas.

Of course, we still have to figure out where the water pressure for the shower went and figure out why in the hell the pivot ball on the sink drain leaks profusely when drained. Damn those plumbing issues which have eaten up far more time than we could have ever imagined. And I still have to finish wiring the motor on the tub.

Sure, Thursday is workable -- if I don't sleep for a few nights. I am beginning to think that this house hates me for messing with its inner workings.

5 comments:

Slick said...

Awww man, I done got all tired and worn out just reading this.

I have a good buddy in the tile business, coulda stole you some if I knew you needed it :)

Good luck with all that work!

Beth said...

Eagerly awaiting an explanation of the point system. (Which doesn't say much for the excitement factor in my life.)
Hope you get the project done by Christmas!

Jay said...

I worship anyone who takes on these ambitions home reno projects. I know I'm way too chicken to ever try!

Sornie said...

I am not so sure about my ambition factor, my brother-in-law has been a huge help on this.

The points system is rather intricate but also random, maybe I'll break it down after the first of the year.

Mary said...

I so relate. Just finished a staining an old rocker. My studio is heated by a gas wall heater and the fumes created when the two meet are actually mind numbing. And after 5 years of glassless kitchen cabinets the glass has been ordered, arrived and has been on kitchen table for 3days now. Will it be installed? We shall see.
As for grouting. I despise it. But good for you for diy.