Friday, December 14, 2007

A malling experience

As I was reading this recommended City pages article in which the writer spent a mind-numbing and sanity-testing week in Bloomington, Minnesota's Mall of America I began to ponder some serious questions.

My first question popped into my head as I read the writer's details of his sixth day in the mall where uber-punk retailer Hot Topic was mentioned. I have to wonder, because I have been known to peruse their offerings from time to time while simultaneously mocking everyone working and shopping there, at what age it becomes viewed as creepy to shop, er, walk into a Hot Topic store. Seriously, how old is too old to venture through the door, um entry of a Hot Topic store? I still have a punch card in my bill fold from there and am hellbent on finishing it off before I hit that magical cutoff age. I wonder this because earlier this week pharmacy tech guy's wife invited us to celebrate his 30th birthday later this month. Seriously, I am feeling old.

My second question paraded through the wasteland that is my mind as I wrote about my first question. Early on in the aforementioned Mall of America article, the writer met up with one of the mall's most ubiquitous shoppers who confessed to spending about $2,000 each week. She seemed shocked to know that the annual total crossed the $100,000 barrier. Apparently this trophy wife who had her sugar daddy wrapped around her pinky finger didn't major in mathematics. How, though, does someone who is an admitted shopping addict spend more in a week shopping than I earn in two weeks?

While the article was funny, it raised some important items to think about. For instance, what exactly are the Vietnamese women sculpting your fingernails and toenails laughing at? Call me paranoid but if they are laughing at how poorly cared for my nails are, I have every right to laugh at their silly little Michael Jackson-esque paper surgical-style masks.

Now for the real questions... what's the longest you have spent in a mall? What the most you spent in one signle mall trip? Have you ever been to the Mall of America? (Yes, I have been there but despite my proximity less than a dozen times.)

6 comments:

buffalodickdy said...

I actually enjoy grocery buying. Of course, I go at 8am on Sunday when the only people that are there know what the hell they're doing. Notice I used the word "buy" not shop. I don't shop.

Jeff said...

We're from St. Cloud so we stop down about once a month - but only for the kids' sake. It's not like we don't have enough stinkin retail here as it is. Although a few weeks ago my wife and I went down to Ikea to pick up a new bathroom sink and cabinet, so that's pretty close.

Sornie said...

I am one of those late shopper when it comes to groceries or extremely fast -- running over others, as far as Ikea, I hate that to go there you almost have to walk through the entire store like a mouse in a maze with the only reward being the checkouts, Sort of a raw deal.

Shari said...

I have never been to Mall of America. It's about a five hour drive from here. I highly doubt Hubby would want to make that trip. ;)

I don't enjoy shopping that much. I'd rather shop online now to avoid the crowds.

I cannot comprehend spending $2000 a week, every week.

BTW, thanks for stopping by my place. Take care.

Jeff said...

That's funny you should say that about Ikea. We said the same exact thing. The worst part was, we grabbed a ticket for a light that said it was in the warehouse, but when we got down there THEY said it was back upstairs. Ugh. I think they do that so you'll get hungry and end up stopping at their crappy restaurant in the end.

Dan said...

I never heard of Hot Topic. I must be really old. Never been to the Mall of America but my wife has.