Friday, November 30, 2007

The next big thing... probably not

It's no secret that the roots of my current musical tastes lie in the not too distant past where pop-punk music ruled. The likes of Blink 182 and a gaggle of copycats that followed seemed to particularly tweak my ears. Sure, their early lyrics were juvenile and catered solely to teens much like myself who were floundering in their lives much like the band's members had in their southern California skater-dominated non-paradise.

Of course, the band managed to mature as their fans grew up. Their final album, a self-titled affair from about four or five years back, was all sorts of grown up and while it wasn't the radio-friendly fare of past albums, it was a deep and poignant album none the less.

As the saying goes, all good things must come to an end. The band broke up in a rather under the radar fashion and it took me a few months to realize that fact. Follow-up projects from the bands two vocalists popped up with Angels and Airwaves fronted my Tom DeLonge and (+44) fronted by bassist Mark Hoppus and backed by former Blink-182 drummer Travis Barker.

All seemed fine but where in the hell was the next pop-punk band that would attract teens and grow with them? I'm just a bit out of that all-important teen demographic but I stumbled upon a band being billed at least by one blogger as the next big thing for modern rock/radio-friendly pop-punk.

The band is named The New Rivals. Their single, Mudslinging, is garnering some radio play on influential station in the eastern U.S. but to me his five piece seems generic at best. The muddy vocals seem overpowered by guitars which overpower the anemic drums that are a signature of plenty of popular punk tunes. Maybe their second single, if there is one, will be better but based on this particular tune I don't give these guys fifteen seconds of fame, much less fifteen minutes.

But what the hell? The tune is free and the band is parading through Minneapolis on December 10th so check them out if plain-jane crap is your bag.

Even the missus had an opinion saying that the band seems to be "Nothing special."

1 comment:

snowelf said...

Sornie,

I have to agree--they sound okay, but generic is the word that comes to my mind too. I wouldn't think twice about switching the station on them, but that's just me.

Your Christmas list was hysterical. And seriously, who wouldn't want a yodeling pickle!

--snow