Tuesday, November 27, 2007

I have a confession to make

Everyone has skeletons in my closet and I am no different. If you looked into this particular closet, it would look like an above-ground cemetary and it's burdensome for me to keep all this hidden from others. To lighten my load, I have a confession to make and it might shock some of you.

Now it's nothing along the lines of an adulterous affair with a curvy and buxom 21 year old blonde college cheerleader who has an anything-goes attitude if you catch my drift. No, actually my secret could be considered more scandalous than that.

Here goes.

I listen to sports talk radio. Sure, it's only for two hours a day but I rarely miss it. I listen to it because the personality hosting the show has an utter disdain for sports. To sum it up, he is an older version of me. I listen because it's funny to me how wrapped up people get in their favorite team. Their moods change dependant on the performance of their favorite team. Their free time revolves around the minutiae of the personnel and coaching moves of their team. They critique the smallest details of the previous game and contemplate ludicrous schemes that would vastly improve their team.

These fans whose moods ebb and flow with their favorite team's performance have such sorry and pathetic lives that they have to obsess over a bunch of (physically) grown men playing a child's game for vast gobs of cash.

Do you have one of these people in your lives? Are you one of these people? Do you feel the same way? Have I offended your sensibilities in saying that [insert team name here] sucks and has zero hope at a winning season much less a playoff run?

6 comments:

Beth said...

Yup. I'm one of those people (to a degree) but you haven't offended my sensibilities at all! And "my" team does suck. But I still love watching them and have since I was a kid.

Crabby said...

Nope. Cuz my Buckeye's still have a shot at the Championship game. ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh ha ha ha ha!

psssst...Beth, quick...before she smacks us...who's your team?

Hill said...

Sports talk radio???

Say it ain't true!

:)

Countess B said...

I have a confession also. I listen to books on CD. I never go more than a day without a new Book/CD.

I feel so naked now...I better go put on my cheerleader outfit.

Sornie said...

Yes, sports talk radio but for only 2 hours a day.

A cheerleader outfit, interesting...

Just wait until the next deep, dark confession. It will blow your mind. Or not.

The Future Was Yesterday said...

I lived in NC when Dale Earnhardt (famous NASCAR driver) was killed. Up to the time they physically put him in the ground, the TV was filled with grown men sobbing - because "they wouldn't let me touch his body one last time.