Sunday, November 04, 2007

I finally did it

It was Labor Day weekend when my trusty Nikon Coolpix 5700 camera, which I had owned for just over three years, started acting up. I won't go in to much detail but a friend suggested simply hitting the reset option. That worked. For a while. That also happened to be right around the time that I landed a gig shooting the photography for a calendar. I knowingly took on that project while my current camera was in for repairs, not knowing whether or not it would be able to be fixed.

One afternoon, we were near a National Camera Exchange store and we decided ot see how much things had changed camera-wise in just over three years. We tested out a few digital SLR cameras (interchangeable lenses, fast as hell shutters) and the wife (yes at her urging) wanted to upgrade. She didn't even want to take a cheapish approach. She was all or nothing when it came to what we agree on. I decided that, to make my previous camera worth its investment (yes, it arrived back from the repairs free of charge) that I would use it through Halloween even though a new one would have been hella handy doing a photo shoot for two overly mobile boys under the age of three.

Well, after some serious looking and feverish pricing, it was ordered Sunday. Ideally I would have gone with the store which I bought my first camera at and had recommended to numerous others but it was all about price. I did the research and went with a factory refurbished Nikon D80 with a lens and a handful of accessories and even a warranty because, to me, this was not a cheap purchase.

To wrap things up, it will be here Wednesday and I can't wait to take the new addition to our photographic family out for a spin and work the hell out of it.

1 comment:

The Future Was Yesterday said...

Our "Christmas Present" to each other is going to be a new digital, which, hopefully, I'll be allowed to use by spring!:)