Thursday, November 15, 2007

Goals and how to meet (some of) them

Earlier this year I set out some goals for myself.

To recap for those of you too lazy to click a damn link, I planned on being more active whether that be walking, biking, busting up rocks with a sledgehammer or digging holes only to fill them back in. Along the lines of increased activity, I also planned to get in shape with the aide of one of my favorite pastimes -- disc golf.

I also decided that my garden was going to be the picture of kick-assedness.

Lastly, my most lofty goal was to shoot 3000 pictures with my trusty Nikon Coolpix 5700 to justify upgrading to a digital SLR.

"Well, how in the hell did you do on your cute little goals?"

Thanks for asking and managing to be a total prick in the process.

While my biking efforts fell short as a whole, I made some serious progress by biking, at first, every day after work as long as the conditions permitted. As far as fitness goes, I managed to maintain my current healthy weight but my repeated summers of light drinking in larger than recommended volumes shows in the abdominal region. I also managed to fit in far more rounds of disc golf than in 2006 even with being far busier than the previous year.

The garden managed to produce 7 or 8 pumpkins, some tasty sweet corn, onions which I need to rescue from the garage and tasty carrots which are nearly gone.

Lastly was my personal photo challenge. I realize that 3000 photos was a huge number but I knew it could be done in the six months I gave myself. Sure, friends and family probably got irate with my incessant snapping and that god-awful bright flash popping from time to time but a goal is a goal.

In the process I captured everything from city skylines to Jolly Green Giants but, in the end, my trusty Nikon Coolpix 5700's image sensor gave out just after Labor Day. After some searching, though, I discovered that a repair would be free but that repair ended up taking nearly three of the best weeks of early Autumn that a Minnesotan could ask for.

All told, though, I finished the six month challenge with just under half of my 3,000 photos coming in with around 1,400. Look at some of the work we did with the annoyingly slow Coolpix 5700. Of course, back in September with the camera in for repairs, I took on a project that would require a new bunch of gear to get the job done and that kick-ass Nikon D80 arrived last week. I am still honing my skills as is the missus with our new SLR camera but it will surely outshine the three-plus years of images from the old but still usable camera that shot many parades, get-togethers, cover images for publications and memorable moments.

So, there you have it, a long-winded recap of my summer challenges which leads to the question of your challenges? Did anyone out there set any goals for this year? Did you meet them? How do our photo skills stack up? What kind of cameras do y'all use?

7 comments:

justacoolcat said...

I'm really jonsing for an SLR. I'm not sure about the Nikon, mainly because of the inlens motor. These days I specialize in Lo-Fi photography and get some pretty cool result with a Nikon and Cameraphone5000.

Nice job with the pumpkins. Were they large or ornamental variety?

I grew about 35 this year, with the largest 6 being over 100lbs and a few cool ornamentals. ALl the rest were your basic pumpkins.

I tend to not set goals.

Sornie said...

At least with my new D80 it works with almost any lens, not like the mas marketed D40 that needs a lens with a motor in it making the lenses that much more expensive.

The pumpkins were smaller jack-o-lantern types and would love to grow bigger ones but my small lot doesn't have that sort of room.

The Future Was Yesterday said...

"To recap for those of you too lazy to click a damn link"
Pisses me off, too. You go to all that effort to make the post, then nobody looks at the link. "Counter surfers" I call 'em.

"Thanks for asking and managing to be a total prick in the process."
LOL! But it's the American way of seeing if the "jones" are ahead of us!:) I tend not to set goals, but I had to, one. I had to go to a gym and walk the treadmill for as long as I could take it. I love to walk in the woods, I love to traipse up and down the mountains....but Gawd, do I hate that treadmill!...(: And I've got to do that, before I can do the other again. Your pics of your Father combining corn brought back so many memories.... I'm a Michigan Farm Boy.

The Future Was Yesterday said...

I want to thank you for your kind support during the last week. It was treasured, believe me!

Queen of the Mayhem said...

I want to know when you are an expert on the camera.....as I still can't seem to figure out my
D70!

I did terribly on keeping my resolutions this year.....*sigh* I suppose there is always next year!

buffalodickdy said...

The key to happiness lies in lowering your expectations....
Betcha don't ever read that one in a fortune cookie!

enigma4ever said...

I have seen you around....I love this blog and your photos...and good for you goals...wonderful....and disc golf..so that have that there.....I played in the NW....great stuff...I am going to poke around a bit..