Thursday, November 15, 2007

Breaking ranks with the Catholics (again)

It seems that the Catholic church is as rooted in their ways as ever.

I, for one, disagree with their latest edict stating that Catholic voters must remember the church's teachings when casting votes in the 2008 presidential elections. I wholeheartedly disagree with a religion dictating behavior and attempting to stifle free will which is essentially what they are aiming for.



But "that does not make (moral issues) optional concerns or permit Catholics to
dismiss or ignore church teaching," the bishops said.

What people do with their lives, within the confines of the laws established, is their own business.



However, they also oppose same-sex marriage, euthanasia and embryonic stem cell research, in addition to their staunch anti-abortion position.

I can say that this, among plenty of other issues, is yet another Catholic "teaching" which I don't agree with and object to which will be sure to cause conflict among myself and my wife and myself and both my family and her family. What do others think about the Catholic church nearly stating how they wish their members to vote? Do other religions often make political statements such as this one? Am I alone in thinking that the Catholic church is severely behind the times?

2 comments:

Brooke said...

This is exactly why I got married outside of church by my brother...Reverend Dan.

Jay said...

It's wrong,b ut it's probably not even the wrongest thing they've done today.