Friday, October 12, 2007

A message conveyed in video

I might catch some flak if some of my closer friends read this and find out that I actually like the latest single/video by Chicago pop-rockers Fallout Boy. Well, I do and you can't make me change my mind, no matter how relentless you are.

Yes, Fallout Boy have made an actual powerful video. Pleading to the fans who will watch the video to take action on the horrors taking place in northern Uganda, the clip is a touching story about a Ugandan couple's budding relationship that comes to a quick end when the teenage boy is taken by soldiers to train and fight in a senseless war that most outside of the region know nothing about.

Fall Out Boy - I'm Like A Lawyer With The Way I'm Always Trying To Get You Off (Yes, they have a habit of giving their songs insanely long titles)




Watch the clip and check out the website mentioned...

********

More on the revolution of modern-day musicians

Punk outfit Less Than Jake is selling entire live show recordings, untouched, for ten bucks a pop.

All-around bizarre guy Beck (a.k.a Beck Hansen) isn't waiting for an entire collection of tunes. Instead he recently released his newest tune, "Time Bomb" directly to iTunes and has been getting favorable sales and radio airplay on the strength of a one-off single with more likely to come.

Does this mean that the death of the album is upon us? Probably not but singles, especially in the digital age, are becoming increasingly important and give casual fans just what they want -- the cream of the crop sans fluff.

6 comments:

The Future Was Yesterday said...

"taken by soldiers to train and fight in a senseless war that most outside of the region know nothing about.
"

So many, many wars, all over the globe...and for what?

I don't know if the album is at risk of dying, but I sure hope the album with one good cut and the rest trash, takes a quick dive! We've been ripped off for too long.

Brendan said...

That Fallout Boy song doesn't do anything for me, but I admire (in the amoral sense) the choice by a white band to market a song by preying on white guilt.

(Only half-serious.)

The 30 seconds of the new Beck tune sounds pretty good. He's my all-time favorite Scientologist! (Quite possibly, the easiest contest to win since "Who's the Smartest Bush Brother?")

Crabby said...

Sornie, I'm linking you at the Cowpie Field.

Adam said...

may i suggest that if you are unable to find a band or group or artist with only one good song on an album that you are perhaps listening to some crap music?? it's a sign of the times when most people only know musicians by singles and then show up to a concert and can't sing any other song while claiming to be a "fan". case in point- finger eleven had the song 'one thing' released a long while back and when they performed in minneapolis there was a large portion of the crowd that knew only that song and were actually surprised the band's material was comprised mostly of harder rock. i know that we have been let down by bands who we are used to putting out quality material (cough*korn*cough) and then crapping out with only one half decent song on an entire cd. that is why there should never be an endless pursuit of new music by bands who have worked hard on their cd's for a long time (usually new artists). and sornie- fall out boy?!? i prefer this video of theirs: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4068767512452275304&q=fall+out+boy&total=35506&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=4

Queen of the Mayhem said...

This song is not bad. While I am not a huge fan of Fall Out Boy, I do like the choices that Itunes gives me to pick and choose the songs I like by different artists. I think a fan can be defined in many different ways. I don't necessarily have to like every song an artist puts out to consider myself a fan....but it probably WOULD help to like more than just a single!

Balou said...

I admire them for using a video for the message. Hopefully will make people be more aware of what's going on over there and help.

I hope the album concept doesn't fall away. Not unless more artists go independent and have the freedom to release their choice of music. Not just the choice of singles the recording studio executives decide are worthy of releasing.