Friday, September 14, 2007

You're too sexy for this plane

Have you heard the one about the woman who was told to wrap a blanket around herself on a Southwest Airlines flight? Nope? Well it's not a joke but a real story and while the details behind it aren't very in-depth, there is a very real issue here.

A so-called expert quoted in the article I read regarding this story blames the lax style of dress of today's younger generations, saying that they are following the fashion trends of young Hollywood stars. I say bullshit. I blame the few uptight people who are deathly afraid to see some skin on a woman or an 'offensive' graphic on a t-shirt (that one was given as an excuse for being lectured by a flight attendant regarding the 'dress code' on airplanes).

While I am not an avid fly-guy, I have been on a handful of flights to various locales and I rarely, if ever, worry about how I am dressed. I've never been offended by how someone else is dressed and I'll be damned if a flight attendant can talk down to me about how I am dressed. Sure, I don't have a closet full of offensive tees but I definitely have my own style and it seems rather heavy-handed to me that an airline thinks they have the right to enforce some unwritten dress code of theirs.

There are portions of their unwritten code of standards that I do agree with. I can say wholeheartedly that I am opposed to someone emitting a foul odor or being barefoot boarding a plane and being seated near me. The airlines need to lighten up because while we have few choices when it comes to air travel, they depend on us, the customers, to keep their often government subsidized businesses afloat.

What are your thoughts on airline customer dress codes? Have you had unpleasant or uncomfortable flight experiences? Am I a total dick for coming one step short of telling airlines to shove it?

8 comments:

buffalodickdy said...

Women can wear as little as they want, anywhere they want -just don't make a big deal out of it when I look....

Beth said...

I didn't even know airlines had dress codes. Obviously, while I dress for comfort to fly (i.e. like a slob) I'm not breaking any rules.
I guess if I showed more skin, they'd be quick to give me a blanket. Which would be good. By the time I ask for one, they've usually run out.

Jules said...

I totally think this whole thing is completely asnine (sp?). I don't see a darn thing wrong with what she's got on. Her boobs aren't sticking out and neither is her box. So what's the big deal? I've seen waaaaaay more scantily clad women waltzing around. I saw this girl on Ellen the other day and Ellen, in her usual manner, dug up some dirt on this airline. Back in like the 50's, their stewardesses dressed in tight little short shorts and tight shirts. They all had big boobs too. So there. They set their own standard back then!

The Future Was Yesterday said...

My wife and I usually make a couple trips a year from S.C. to see her parents in So. Cal. You can't believe some of the outfits on some of the flights. However, you'd never believe the jackasses that stuff a hundred pounds of carry on in the overhead neither, forcing other passengers to slide carry on's under their seats. Or some of the food brought aboard. Or the manners of the flying public. I could go on and on. People seem to turn into raging animals when they get on an airplane.

But when it comes to so called "offensive" dress, be it in an airplane, train, or coffee shop, I've found one sure fire fix that has never failed me - Don't Freaking Look if you don't like it!!! My eyes have never been forced to focus on one person for a four hour flight. Thank God, in some cases, but that's beside the point.

No said...

This is totally off the topic, but I'm having a Pheasant Country Redneck Fall Wedding Bash on my blog today...everyone is invited!

betmo said...

it is amazing that it has been 2 women to be ostracized. i am not a sexy dresser but come on. there are towns in the south passing ordinances against certain clothes and now this. the population is turning on each other. hmmmm....

Stephanie said...

I wrote a blog about this and after reading the comments, I realized that it's likely if the attendants said something to this woman, someone complained. The airline faces lawsuit if a customer is exposed to something he or she finds objectionable, so they are legally obligated to try to do something about it. Also, they say the photographs of the woman were after she'd adjusted her clothing.

choochoo said...

What, no picture? I wanna see the outfit that'll make people force you to wrap a blanket around yourself.