Friday, September 28, 2007

The summer of some content

This summer was one for the books, it was hot, it was cold, it was damp and it was dry. Then there's the weather to talk about too.

Of course with it being Friday, it time to talk about the summer that was in terms of music.

Summer is always thought of as a fun-loving time of year. The ladies take off the layers of clothes, likewise with the guys. Some of those people should put a layer or two back on but, for the most part, it's all good.

Summer, too, used ot be defined by airy, fun music that just had a summertime vibe to it. It was, for lack of a better word, poppy and simply conveyed a feeling of fun and frivolity. One of the last times I remember a truly definitive summertime song was when southern California band "Sugar Ray" first made their way on to the national scene. With their tune "Fly" they not only set the standard that particular summer for summer tunes but also managed to pigeon hole themselves into a sound that sold CDs and burned out rather quickly because they became carbon copies of themselves and that one particular song which turned out to be a one-up when compared to the rest of that disc (Their second major label release).

As the post-millenial music sales slump (at least in traditional solid-state media) continues, the summer-time music is dredging the bottom of the proverbial barrel. There were, though a few definitive songs that gained some footing in the here today, gone tomorrow world of music and a few of the artists will, in fact, actually be here tomorrow.

The likes of Black Eyed Peas nauseatingly popular (payola?) Fergie had a string of hits that lasted through various parts of the summer season as she cavorted around in her Kohl's-only wardrobe selling CDs (I haven't found anyone who bought one) and gaining notoriety even after she pissed her pants last year on stage during a show with the Peas.

Then there's the hit machine known as Justin Timberlake. He managed to shed the boy-band persona and go on to be what I think of as the king of danceable hip-hop. His music isn't just hip-hop. It has a pop sensibility that gives it broad appeal and his immense appeal has made him the number one guy to collaborate with. His enormous popularity has landed him gigs with Nelly Furtado and her reinvented image, producer extraordinaire Timbaland and, most recently, 50 Cent. He is the guy to beat.

Others who had huge summers and managed to break out of relative obscurity to gain newfound notoriety are another one-off band who could be mistaken as piano-loving "The Fray" if they only featured a piano in their music... that's right, "Plain White T's" had their hit "Hey There Delilah". The indie-rock outfit went acoustic and grabbed plenty of recognition.

Finally, making their first appearance on a major label were fan favorites "Against Me!". This punk-rock outfit put out what I consider the greatest rock genre disc so far this year and staked their claim to moderate amounts of fame with "Thrash Unreal" and the catch sing-along chorus prominently featuring the most underused phrase of this decade -- junkie.

Lookie here... you can download these tunes and more right here...

Fergie - Big Girls Don't Cry
Justin Timberlake - Summerlove
Plain White T's - Hey There Delilah
Against Me! - Thrash Unreal
Kanye West - Stronger (feat. Daft Punk)

The above opinions are that of only one guy. I am curious what tune(s) really tripped your trigger during those past warm month of 2007. Was it Avril Lavigne? Was it something even worse? Or did you rediscover some oldies but goodies?

7 comments:

buffalodickdy said...

Odd summer indeed! I normally listen to alot of music just driving around doing my job, but I found myself turning off the radio and thinking about things in my life. For me, bad news outweighed the good news this summer, causing my odd mood. Avril at least has 2 hits now in her brief life. Amy Winehouse is making the news more by drinking than singing....

Crabby said...

"The ladies take off the layers of clothes, likewise with the guys. Some of those people should put a layer or two back on but, for the most part, it's all good."

AHHHHHHHHHHH HA HA HA HA HA HA! What great day to post that. You wouldn't even believe what I saw today. I sooooo wish I'd had my camera. Old broads with weeble shaped butts should NOT be walkin' around wearin low-riders with the ass purposely cut out of their jeans on both sides.

I'm all for not fretting about your age but please! Especially when they're with their teenage daughters. That's just eyeball assault. That's what that is.

Stephanie said...

The only fergie song I liked was Fergalicious. The rest of it has sounded like elevator music to me.

kev said...

ryc: So true! You hit the nail on the head.

I was immune to the songs of this past summer thanks to my CD collection. No Avril for me, thanks. I'll stick with my STP, Live and Counting Crows.

Bridget Jones said...

Right on. AL isn't one of my faves, but then I'm hopelessly stuck in the past. Musically anyway!

Beth said...

Ooh, I LOVE Justin! and the Plain White T's....but have you seen the lead singer? He has THE. biggest. nose. I. have. ever. seen.

Countess B said...

I'm way out of the loop, music wise, but I did enjoy the song "Teenagers", My Chemical Romance. I can't even tell you when it came out. But I sing the catchy tune at the top of my lungs while driving.