Thursday, September 27, 2007

It's all about the lovin'

Sex. It's a widely known fact that most people engage in it at some point during their existence. It is mystifying, too, why so many religions demonize it if it were to occur outside the sanctity of marriage.

I guess that religion exists to keep our so-called animal instincts in check. If it weren't for organized religion stifling our deep-seated desire to fornicate with each and every moderately attractive person of the opposite sex we saw, the world would be a very different place. Hell, some would say that we'd be animals but in actuality we are. I am fairly certain that we didn't just sprout from a seed, evolution took us to a higher plain -- higher than those animals who randomly jump those of the opposite sex (and sometimes of the same sex) because they are feeling like doing so.

That's why it mystified sex columnist Dan Savage as the high-brow Slate magazine took a look at how basically ignorant people are about sex and how elements of it have been stifled, not just by religion but by our political cultures who try to dictate more than they need to in the lives of those they represent. (Note that they represent us, not control us).

The fact that in a world where violence in film and on television is a common occurance and the government is still in fear of something as simple as same sex unions is absurd. I don't think that seeing either "atrocity" in person or film is going to sway a normally sane individual to commit either act. People, living of their own free will, will do what is best for themselves and those around them. I know for sure that I wouldn't go out and shack up with a gay man just because I saw it in a movie or because it was legal. Partly because I'm not gay but if a spectacular job opened up with Twin Cities gay magazine "Lavendar" I'd have no problem signing on because I am not fearful of "the gays" and I am who I am. I do what's best for myself and those around me first and foremost.

I guess I am thankful that our government and religions aren't more close-minded than they already are. I am not for all-out anarchy but the will of the people should be first and foremost, not the wishes of a select few who can't even comprehend that same-sex unions aren't a threat (well anymore than girls who wear the phrase "juicy" across their ass are a threat to teen boys).

1 comment:

Beth said...

And I'm thankful I live in a country where same-sex marriage is legally recognized.
And that's the will of the people...