Tuesday, August 14, 2007

What matters the opinions of a few?

That seems to be the basis for a piece running in this week's edition of Twin Cities "alt-weekly" City Pages -- the opinions of a few. Yes, some in-depth investigative reporting about the character of 2008 DFL senatorial hopeful Al Franken. How in-depth was the story? The out-of-state stringer for the "newspaper" relied solely on the interviews of a few of Franken's neighbors who stated that he is...

...vocal while watching Minnesota Twins games.
Damn, how could you not be vocal while watching a team of nobodies lose to the Kansas City Royals. Come on!

...
prone to vocally encouraging himself during his workout routine.
He is the guy known best for the daily self affirmation as Stuart Smalley. He is simply playing off his best-known character.

...
known for singing along with music while wearing his earphones.
Seriously? This is the best muck these hacks could dredge up on Franken. Hell, at least he only sings along, I often bust out the drum notes on my steering wheel, desk or keyboard tray.

It's official, City Pages is nothing but a shell of its former self just months after a corporate merger whose official outcome is a product of the lowest common denominator. Although I am sure this isn't only a local problem. What poor media outlet changes have you witnessed? Have you seen corporate media mergers or buyouts that resulted in a superior product? Is Franken now a certifiable nut based on some neighbors whose quotes may very well have been take n out of context?

6 comments:

Hammer said...

Al Franke is the nuttiest moonbat out there next to Cindy Sheehan and Rosie O'Donnell.

I cannot believe the that's all the paper came up with. Maybe the media outlet is affiliated with his radio program.

Aaron said...

I posted an open letter to Al Franken asking him to respond to these allegations. Although I have heard back from the campaign that many people on Franken's staff have read it I have not received a response yet.

Brendan said...

You're right about the lameness of the article, Sornie.

Up until the last one I picked up here in Rochester (NY) I would have said you were right about the recent lameness of alt-weeklies in general. But, you know, for a free paper, it wasn't so bad. I even brought it home after starting it in the restaurant I had picked it up at.

I think the time has kind of passed for Al Franken, though, I'm sorry to say. He was my hero after "Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them" came out, and I picked up a couple of his older ones shortly after: "Rush Limbaugh is a Big Fat Idiot" and "Why Not Me?" It seemed to me that he had consistently improved over his book writing career, but then after "Lies," nothing. He was bad the few times I heard him on Air America. It's a pity he couldn't have run the year "Lies" was on the best-seller list.

Sornie said...

To each their own with political opinions Hammer.

I read some of the letter you penned Aaron and follow-up to the questions from that d-bag editor at CP -- your stuff was far better than K-Hoff's responses.

As far as the demise of alt-weeklies Brendan, I may have jumped the gun because simultaneously as City Pages runs some drivel about Franken from his neighbors, the also redeemed themselves with some rather pointed back and forth (while remaining neutral) about who to blame for the 35W bridge collapse. I am torn I tell ya', torn!

Blondie said...

I know less about politics than I do about being religious.

Ever hit on a topic I can relate to? Like... sex? :)

PunditMom said...

Well! I guess I'd better ask for my campaign contribution back then! ;)