Thursday, August 09, 2007

New greasy fair food, oil your home's hinges

It's August in Minnesota and that means the "dog days" of summer. I haven't seen many dogs but I'll roll with that assumption until someone tells me different. And if it's August in Minnesota that means Fair season. And if it's fair season, that means it's almost time for the great Minnesota get-together -- the Minnesota State Fair.

I am not too familiar with other state fairs outside of the pansy-ass weeklong event that Iowa calls its state fair but ours is ten days so suck on that Iowa. Go back to washing your hogs and harvesting your corn. Not that Minnesotans don't do that but we have other claims to fame such as large statues of Paul Bunyan, a huge ball of twine and a museum dedicated entirely to SPAM. That's right, a meat-like product that ironically ties in to the Minnesota State Fair.

If I'm not overlooking something, I believe that the latest bastardization of somewhat-stomachable food (SPAM), is an "ALL NEW TASTY TREAT" at this year's Minnesota State Fair. But the tasty treat, though, may turn your stomach once I reveal it.

Hold on.

Here it comes.

SPAM Curds.

That's right, a style normally reserved for cheese has now crossed over and had a greasy little love child with Hawaii's favorite canned luncheon "meat".

The chunks of SPAM are coated with cheese, battered and fried. Guaranteed to make greasy sweat roll out of your pores as you wade through the sea of crazies, creepies, weirdos and me. I don't think that the latest fired fair food will be a huge hit but this is, after all, the same fair that brought us fried Snicker's bars on a stick so I wouldn't rule anything out.

Would you try it? What's the most bizarre fair-type food you've encountered and you can't say Scotch Eggs because we've got those. Let a guy know, I think we'll make a trip to the fair again this year and expand our waistlines a touch more.

13 comments:

mist1 said...

Beer battered?

Maybe.

mist1 said...

On a stick...

...and beer battered?

Yes.

Adam said...

At first I thought you had written SPAM turds. Then I realized that couldn't be right because SPAM IS turds. When are you and the missus going to the fair btw? I was thinking wed the 30th? wanna go with moi again?

Gay said...

Just wanted to say that I'm glad you played 3WW. You can either post there (if it's short) or on your own blog, ideally with a link (though we'll click on your name if we have to in order to find you).

Welcome.

Gay
www.norbertandsmedley.blogspot.com

Peacechick Mary said...

I was surprised to learn that the UK is enormously fond of Spam. You can expect a lot of Brits flooding into your fair.

H said...

Ouch! In the defense of Iowa -- which, having not ever been to the MN state fair, is the best state fair ever -- our state fair IS ten days. It starts today and runs until the 19th.

H said...

And oh -- Spam curds. Grossest food imaginable. Who comes up with this shit?

Mighty Dyckerson said...

Lord help me, I could eat my weight in Spam! Throw in some cheese and it's like a party in my colon!

sAssY brOwn said...

That made me throw up in my mouth a little.

buffalodickdy said...

Once, a long time ago when my youngest boy was about 9(and would eat darn near everything!)I made him his school lunch. We were out of lunchmeat, except for a can of Spam in the cupboard. I put that and some cheese on two pieces of good bread, and voila! Lunch. Later he came home from school nearly in tears and told my wife Dad hated him. She asked why, and he said because he made my sandwich out of cat food....

Sornie said...

Loving the cat food analogy.

Adam, not sure on the particular day we are going, our schedule sucks.

And yes, SPAM is as close to turds as a guy can get.

SOrry to offend your Iowan sensibilities H, I remember the IPTV coverage of the Iowa State Fair being a week.

I think I'll stick to cheese curds though.

Brendan said...

Until reading this post, I was convinced that I would eat absolutely anything offered as "food" at a fair.

Key word: "until."

CreditEater said...

Just think how many calories the greasy food have? Brrrrr