Monday, August 20, 2007

Hair of the dog or something else

A conversation at the beginning of this past weekend started out with some contemplation about what the phrase 'Hair of the Dog" truly means. It quickly devolved into the topic of the beer sweats.

If you haven't experienced the oft-dreaded beer sweats, consider yourself lucky. If you have, you'll know rather quickly what it is I'm talking about.

The beer sweats, for those unfamiliar with them, come after a night of heavy drinking and sometimes last the entire next day. Despite the temperature of your surroundings throughout that next day, you'll wobble between sweating profusely and uncontrollably shaking with the worst chills you've ever experienced.

The sweating, though, is the worse half of this phenomenon.

The sweat smells like skunked beer but with that unmistakable smell of the combination of the beer from last night and the smell of the skanky bar that you got tore up at.

The conversation where this all began came to determine that Hair of the Dog could easily be Sweat of the Lush. The sweaty excrement of the dreaded day after could be consumed again and the same effect that caused Sweat of the Lush could then be achieved simply by wrapping most of your body in Saran Wrap, sweating it out and lapping the sweat up from the plastic wrap and enjoying a free re-tanking experience.

If you're wondering the locale of this conversation, it was, of course, a smaller suburb where we began a weekend of consumption.

Have you experienced this phenomenon? Do tell...

8 comments:

Hammer said...

I only get them if I mix, It's a nasty feeling.

Beth said...

Nope, never experienced this - but it certainly explains the behaviour and odor of my kids the day after the night before...

Beth said...

oh man, that is disgusting! I've never had the "beer sweats" and plan on NEVER having them...I hate beer. smells like piss, looks like piss...must be piss.

Jules said...

This is new to me... although now that I know about it, I'm gonna do some further investigating next time I'm in a scenario like the one described here!

Trish said...

I always drink two glasses of water after a night of too much beer b/c beer is delicious but needs to be counteracted to avoid the dreaded beer sweats!

Enemy of the Republic said...

Yes. I have. But I won't tell.

Slick said...

I'll let you know once I get sober ;)

Brendan said...

The beer sweats pale in comparison to the beer farts. Nothing worse than the bouquet in a closed room after a night of sleeping it off.

Trish's suggestion is a good one. I can't believe how long it took me to learn this, but drinking as much water as possible the night before is key.