Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Pope Benny gets crazier

All other Christian churches are wrong, immoral and fake.

I'm paraphrasing but the latest Papal installment is proving to be good material for Catholics like me. I'll preface this by saying that there are plenty of intricacies in the Catholic church which I don't see eye to eye with but Pope Benedict has proven to be nothing short of the most controversial pope in quite some time for the bread-breaking Catholics who abide by the rules set forth by the powers that be in Vatican City. What he has done, though, makes me question his motives.

I know that a religion is firmly based in its roots which are in the past. A religion is based on time-tested beliefs and in modern times, some of those beliefs can seem backwards and odd. A religion, though, is supposed to above all things -- tolerant and accepting.

That is why what Pope Benedict said about all other Christian religions being "not true churches" is just wrong. Of course coming from a former member of the Nazi youth, what should I expect? The level of intolerance from the Catholic church as of late as well as their backwards stance on homosexuality, a woman's right to choose and their position on birth control are my personal sticking points when I attend Sunday mass.

What should change? Was the pope right in his assertions that the Catholic church is the only true church?

6 comments:

Hammer said...

That's like saying baby ruth is the only one true candy bar.

Alicia said...

Wow...
I can't say that I feel comfortable ripping on the Pope, but I'm not Catholic, either.

Hehehe, hey, it couldn't be worse that what OUR leader did (Pastor Ted Haggard).
Now there was a major fuck-up.

Good thing he's "completely heterosexual" after his 3 week straight-camp....

;)

Enemy of the Republic said...

He misses the pneumonic plague of the Middle Ages. Send him back.

Philip. said...

All churches are wrong!

Religion is the biggest starter of wars the world has ever known.

betmo said...

i think that he just longs for the 'good ole days'- you know- the dark ages, the inquisition, the crusades...

PunditMom said...

I can only guess what he'd have to say about my Jewish husband and the recent non-religious history in China, which is where PunditGirl was born!