Thursday, July 05, 2007

An interview with ME!

I went ahead and asked for this so here it is, Betmo asked me the questions and I gave my responses. An interview with me and, yes, I AM on a dinosaur... As always, they are well thought out and the answers will give readers some insight into what makes me tick.

1) having never been off of the east coast- and seeing that you are an ex farm boy from minnesota, what are minnesota's best points and your hometown's especially?

The amazing thing about Minnesota is that its topography varies from flat, vast stretches of farmland back in my hometown to rolling hills and valleys an hour's drive to the east. The county where my hometown sits is interesting too because it's odd. In the Land of 10,000 Lakes it doesn't even have one. Of course I like the occasional trip to Duluth because it is so scenic and far different (because of the vast woodlands) from where I grew up. My hometown (Austin, MN), though, is where my roots are. It is often the butt of jokes and rightfully so because the city's leaders less than a decade ago decided to coin it "SPAMTown USA" after the amazing mystery meat itself.

2) my husband loves the family guy- and i see a link to the site on the ole sidebar. one of his faves is where peter takes a job at a fast food restaurant- ding fries are done! what do you like about the show? and what is your favorite episode, and why? (and yes, it kinda is cheating- so what?) :-)

The level of funnyocity in The Family Guy is amazing. I don't know that i can pick out one moment or episode that is "the best" but my favorite moments are scenes that just go on for far too long. Take, for instance, Peter's epic battles (I know there have been at least three) with the giant yellow chicken. I remember one in the past season or two that seemed like it went on for five or ten minutes. I am not sure if it was actually that long but, hell, watch for yourself. I am not sure what the writers are on when they come up with the best adult animated series ever on television but I wish they would share.

3) given the rise of clear channel and the corporatizing of the radio industry (as with everything else) what relevance does radio have in the age of computer technology?

Radio, in its terrestrial form, has to appeal to such a wide swath of the population being that it is advertiser supported. With almost anything that you get for free, it has to have broad appeal and therefore not everyone is going to like it. Clear Channel has actually been a blessing for radio. Sure, they stripped every one of the 1,200+ stations they snatched up through their endless mergers and blind purchases but they did bring plenty of top-notch technology to these stations. They forced these properties to run as lean as possible on the side of staffing and found revenue where nobody before them had thought to look. The true blessing in this is now Clear Channel is selling about two-thirds of their properties to smaller companies that may actually care about the station on a more local basis. It took about a decade of bad radio for the promise of something that could be better.

4) another one about radio :-) - sirius radio has been doing ok and in the rise of media censorship and fcc strangulation- where do you see the future of radio- especially local radio going?

Local radio, if it is truly local, still has a viable place in society. When the severe weather hits during the summer months, our local radio station as I grew up on the farm would feature wall-to-wall coverage before, during and after significant storms. I still remember being huddled in darkness with a battery-powered radio listening to KAUS after a tornado destroyed Austin's bowling alley. In today's consolidated age, that probably wouldn't have been covered with such depth. If terrestrial radio is going to once again flourish (and offering up HD content on the FM side is a beginning) the FCC's ownership caps need to be rolled back. Clear Channel has

5) do you have a favorite charity? if so, what is it and why?

I don't know that I have a favorite charity but I am partial to the Salvation Army because they were the prevalent charity in my hometown and that's where my family's donations went. I have even been a bell ringer during their Christmas campaign.


Do YOU want to be interviewed?


Interview rules:
1. Leave me a comment saying “Interview me.”
2. I will respond by emailing you five questions. I get to pick the questions.
3. You will update your blog with a post containing your the answers to the questions.
4. You will include this explanation and an offer to interview someone else in the same post.
5. When others comment asking to be interviewed, you will ask them five questions.

3 comments:

H said...

You can interview me. =)

I also can't say that I have a favorite family guy moment, but one of the ones that sticks out in my mind right now is the one where the air conditioning went out and Meg said, "Chris, you're hogging all the fans!" and Chris said, "Yeah...well...you're hogging all the UGLY!"

No said...

Love the interview...I'd have you interview me; however, here are some reasons why not:

1. For some reason, I think you know me already..you know someone who knows someone else..you know, that kind of bullshit..MN is a small town, so you may know several people I know..we need to talk further!

2. I'm rather boring..

Anyway, I'm kind of an attention whore, so yeah, please interview me!

betmo said...

well, i am glad that i stopped around. :) nicely handled veruca. yes, i know all about the chicken- sigh. my husband laughs and laughs at me watching these episodes and i complain bitterly about the never ending scenes. for instance, the one where peter hurts his knee and says "ow" like 8,000 times.