Monday, July 16, 2007

Crappier buys out crap

The business world is a fickle one. I should know, I work for an actual bonafide business. Sometimes, though, the shock takes a little while to set in. I literally stumbled across the news of Ihop buying Applebee's a few minutes ago.

This comes as a shock to me because Ihop sucks. They are the suckiest bunch of suckers who ever sucked. Yes, I have a grudge against Ihop. If you know me personally, you'll know that I have plenty of grudges against plenty or businesses, restaurants, people, places, inanimate objects, streets, intersections and weather conditions. Ihope, though, takes the cake. A shitty restaurant based on the premise that you can have breakfast for every damn meal of the day. Hey, don't get me wrong, I love breakfast if it's done right but all it took was one wretched experience from the place known for flapjacks and I was ready to urinate on their front door.

Knowing now that they are buying Applebee's under the premise that "it's a great brand, it just needs to be revitalized" means that Ihop will probably make it even less appealing than it already is. It's bad enough that Applebee's can be singlehandedly blamed for taking the concept of the sit-down restaurant and making a bland and faceless national chain the folks flock to even though they outwardly claim to want local flavor and variety but run (not wal) to the nearest Applebee's because they know what they will be getting and fear the unknown. Damn sheeple.

Yeah, I don't particularly like Applebee's but my wife loves the damn place so we compromise and eat there about three times each year. The menu, though the layout changes and is reprinted about once every three days, never changes. They still have the exact same food. The only difference in the future is that they will be made even less different because that's what happens with consolidation and buyouts. I'd have no problem if they just shut the damn things down altogether but nobody seems to listen when I talk all rational like that...

10 comments:

Blondie said...

I had one crappy Ihop experience... hair on my pancakes... yummy huh?

JR's Thumbprints said...

Personally,
I'd rather eat at a microbrewery, not only do they have good beer, they also seem to have the best food. No IHOP for me. Or Applebees.

Hammer said...

Ihop has decent food but the prices are stupidly high. applebees food isn't fit for rat bait.

I hate to see what happens.

buffalodickdy said...

Doesn't IHOP already own Bennigans?

Sornie said...

I wasn't aware if Ihop owned Bennigans but if it's true, then Applebee's is the White Castle of the Ihop empire because many-a-times have I had Bennigan's "Death by Chocolate" and rather enjoyed it as the button popped off my jeans

C-dell said...

I heard about this on my way to work. I have to admit. I only at applebee's once and never at ihop. I like Waffle house one right down the street from where my dorm is, and and applebee's up town in the town I go to collge at.

Beth said...

um....I left a comment about applebee's and it ended up somewhere down there....some event you missed or something like that. I don't know what the hell happened to it, all I know is it aint here, where it's supposed to be!

Mighty Dyckerson said...

TGIFriday's is far worse. I occasionally go there after work to get plastered; then I order take-out for dinner. I have yet to find an item on their menu that doesn't taste like shit.

Dorky Dad said...

I LOVE IHOP's pumpkin pancakes. But their service last time I was there was the worst I had received in 20 years.

But dang, those pancakes. I really love those pancakes.

pinknest said...

when i heard this news the other day at work, i said to everyone: "what does this MEAN?! what does this mean for us?!" apparently, nobody cared. i've never eaten at applebee's, but i have at ihop. not since college, though. their commercials showing how you can eat what basically looks like a sundae on top of your pancakes makes me so ill.