Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Another fine event I missed

"We're rednecks every day. And it's the best day of the summer. Everybody's friendly and everybody's a family."

With events such as bobbing for pig's feet, ringing posts with toilet seats in a game aptly named Redneck Horseshoes and the best one of all -- the mud pit belly flop; this year's Redneck Games held for the twelfth consecutive year this past weekend in East Dublin, Georgia were a smashing success.

This, to me, is why us notherners (to me things start drastically changing once you enter Missouri) can justify poking fun at all southerners. They clearly deserve the criticism with events that not even parts of my extended family would partake in. Not that the trophy, topped with a crushed beer can, is anything to guffaw at but I consider myself a touch classier than flopping in to a mud pit as a competition. Catch me about 5-7 years back, though, and it would have been a different story.

Maybe as I've aged, I've forgotten my once proud quasi-redneck heritage. Hell, I am from southern Minnesota originally which is technically "the south" compared to the cultural mecca in which I currently dwell. Maybe I need to re-examine my past and embrace what could have been. It's time to turn on the hose, dig a haggard hole in the back yard and find some second hand bib overalls 'cuz' I'm gonna get my redneck on.

Maybe.

10 comments:

Diesel said...

East Dublin, eh? So what do they do in West Dublin?

sAssY brOwn said...

That sounds fun. I never would have guessed you was a redneck!

Hammer said...

Redneck is a ok place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there.

No said...

so...this is completely unrelated, but what does it take to be put on y'all's cool blog list?

Sornie said...

Well, the West Dublinites hook up witht he Easy Dublinites -- regardless of familial relationships.

As for gettin' on my cool blog list, a qualification is to leave a whole buncha comments and have a blog. Can I sign you up? (Offer contingent on completion of six fabulous offers including, but not limited to, purchase of 12-12 packs of butt donuts, 50-year subscription to Cat Fancy magazine and purchase of 34 bottles of topical jawline hair removal formula.)

Jay said...

Oh you make me giggle.

Brooke said...

I live in NJ and when people from NC moved in next door...oh what a day it was. They parked a big old trailer on the front lawn, complete with a scary man inside, set off fireworks all year round and have a trellis with a dead baby bear atop...it's a scene man.

Julie said...

I grew up in MN, live in GA now. I gotta tell ya, MN has just as many rednecks as we do here. (Although I believe we called them "hicks".) I think the only real difference is that the media likes to come down and film ours-:)

No said...

Okay, sign me up for everything...you betcha!

Beth said...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

I love applebee's and hate Ihop...well, I've never been there, but I know I would hate it.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!