Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Men are grooming more, and I don't mean just shaving

There's actual proof that men are spending more than ever before to look their best. Spending on what used to be considered frills such as concealer, oil absorbing face powder and eyebrow gel, among other items, is up a whopping 42% since 2001. Fine, but what does it all mean?

Glad you asked. It means that men are becoming just as vain about their appearance as women. I will admit to paying as much attention to my hair as my wife does although I don't have to blow dry it or curl it so my prep time is considerably less than her's. Don't pigeon hole me, though, I am not some skinny jeans wearing hipster living in uptown. I am true to my roots and if I needed to, I would gladly help out on the farm again and still know how to grease various bearings which help the wheels go round and round. I'd just be doing it with a stylin' hair do in tact.

There are other things, too, that I will admit to. I have some wrinkle reducing face moisturizer in my arsenal. It even came in some pretty kick ass packaging which, given my job, was just an added bonus in addition to its ability to prevent my manly face from turning into something resembling a light brown raisin. And when things get dirty, I have my trusty face scrub to get the grime off after I've gotten my grime on.

But that's as far as it goes. I'm not all rock star or anything. I don't have man eyeliner or any other makeup that my wife could use should she find herself in a pinch one morning. I still mow my own lawn and change the oil in both of our cars myself because, hell, it saves a few bucks that I can reinvest in my personal grooming products and not feel guilty about doing so.

I don't know about these guys who are using skin bronzer, concealer and other rather feminine sounding types of skin accessories but I'm still a man's man... just don't disturb me when I am washing my face at night or there will be hell to pay. And how about the folks reading? Does anyone have a deep, dark secret regarding themselves or a guy they know wearing/using "man makeup"? Share away, I won't tell anyone...

6 comments:

Dorky Dad said...

About the extent to my grooming involves after shave. That's about it. No eyeliner, bronzer, lip gloss, moisturizer or anything like that. I'm too groggy on most mornings to effectively use any of that stuff, anyway.

Slick said...

I use a loofah sponge thingy...but that's a BIG secret ok?

Oh yeah..and cologne. Well...that's about it for me.

Whew, I feel better already :)

Time said...

My eyebrow hairs are turning gray, the rest of my (full head) hair is not. I'm thinking of using an eye brush, or pencil to dye my eyebrows. Is that to gay? Please advise me, male fashion guy!

Sornie said...

Time,

If it existed, I would recommend using Just For Men eyebrow colorant. In its absence, black shoe polish will suffice.

Male Fashion Guy

mist1 said...

I don't know why, but I love putting a mud mask on a man. I just feel like they don't know what they're missing out on.

Sornie said...

The only mud that ends up on my face isn't intentional although you have me curious as to how a mud mask would feel...