Thursday, May 03, 2007

A summer to challenge myself

What, you ask, will I be doing with my summer?

First off, thanks for asking and secondly, quit being so interested, it's starting to creep me out a bit.

Honestly, I have come to the realization that I need to increase my drive. I plan on being more active in general. Whether that would be biking, walking the hilly streets near my house or making sure to get out and disc golf more frequently I will be the picture of health and fitness by summer's end.

Second on my list that requires curiously little in the way of funding is to produce the world's most ass-kicking garden. Pumpkins a-plenty come October! More sweet corn than one household can consume and enough tomatoes to make and Spaniard beyond gleeful.

And finally, I will be working on my photography. I highly doubt that I will be able to afford stepping up to a new digital SLR camera this summer but I will be working the hell out of my semi-SLR Nikon which I've had for four years I think. My goal is to shoot about 3,000 pictures (of varying quality of course) by the time Halloween haunts Minnesota in six months.

That goal isn't too much of a stretch for me. About 500 photos per month should make me really dig for content and I am all about challenging myself which is why I started this blog on a cold winter evening in late 2003. I might even share some photos here but more likely on another top-secret blog I started last year dedicated to my photography. If there's interest in the topic, I'll link the whole mess up.

With all that being said, what hobbies do the readers here have? What do you do to challenge yourself? Are there any great ideas for photo-worthy content to be found in a semi-rural/suburban area that I should try?

5 comments:

mist1 said...

I'm still looking for a hobby. This summer, I'm going to take flight lessons. Everyone is afraid.

Alicia said...

I didn't know you were a photographer.

I have a garden.
It came with the house I bought last summer.

I suppose I'd better get to planting soon if I expect to see any vegetables this summer.

I'd LOVE to see a link to your photography!

Sornie said...

I use the term photographer loosely but I do freelance for my employer, have photographed a wedding and take adorable pics of the niece and nephews. Photography goes with the territory as a graphic designer for me -- I am all sorts of artsy.

Dorky Dad said...

Now that you've revealed this to us you're going to have to post pics of your garden. And of you biking, but I don't know how you're going to take that picture.

Sornie said...

I had thought about chronicling my jungle-like garden for a project at work actually but it would fit better here with the A.D.D. format I have going. As for a pic of me biking, maybe I can take a pic of my bike... good enough?