Tuesday, May 22, 2007

My theory about road construction

Yes, here in Minnesota it is joked about that we have only two seasons, winter and road construction. While that is wrong, I am not here to debate the number of seasons, I am here today to gripe about the latter of two supposed seasons.

Road construction, no matter where you live, is a painful fact of life. Most adults use the roads whether they drive, ride a bus or bike to and fro and you most definitely pay taxes to maintain the roads so it is your right as an American.

My gripe is about how extremely long road construction takes. I drive through an area that has been under construction for over two years. That might not seem long but the area's constrction project consisted of installing an overpass on an existing roadway, a frontage road and exits from the existing four lane highway. During the construction, the four lane highway has been reduced to a two lane mess with traffic crawling at half the posted speed limit.

Hey, I can deal with that for two miles. What I can't figure out is how this country built an entire freeway system across 48 of the fifty states in a rather short period of time but can't finish a simple freeway overpass/interchange in over two years. The country's freeways were build four to five decades ago. Has our country regressed that much over the past fifty years that we can't rebuild two damn miles of road in two years?

Hell, I even saw a group of the construction workers on my drive home last night taking a break... there's nothing wrong with that but one was, wait for it, laying on the road. I know it's grueling work out in the hot sun all day but don't spoon with Joe Construction Worker where I can see it. That would be like me curling up under my desk and taking a twenty minute cat nap while my co-workers looked on. No sir, that's when you sneak out to your car and snooze for a few minutes.

Sure, these guys are doing good work but one mile per year is a snail's pace at best. If someone has to light a fire under their blaze orange asses, I have an aim and flame...

7 comments:

H said...

Road construction is killing me. What you are dealing with is far worse than what I am dealing with (two weeks of construction with two of three southbound lanes on highway 77 closed) but it still irritates me to no end.

You're right, it doesn't make a lot of sense. I think they just like to piss us off.

And to me, there really are only the two seasons, and I HATE BOTH OF THEM. I think it's time for me to move. =)

Hill said...

I hear ya on the road construction thing. It's unbelievable. I have to believe that the contractors get paid a huge bonus for NOT speeding things up.

Slick said...

It must be like that everywhere then. In Atlanta, it's an ongoing process.

I'd love to have my own business and win a bid for road construction here. I don't think there's a timetable or a deadline!

buffalodickdy said...

Joke time! Once a road crew went out to where the work was to be done, and found the had forgotten the shovels! They called the foreman who told told them to lean on each other until he got there with the tools.....

buffalodickdy said...

I wish I had invented the "Orange Barrel". I wouldn't know where to hide all the money!

Dorky Dad said...

I don't know what you're talking about I love all that road construction. I love that my commute is twice as long as usual, and that I have to drive five hours out of my way to get somewhere thanks to numerous detours. Frankly, I have too much hair, anyway, so why not spend more time in a situation in which I'm pulling it out?

Sornie said...

I am with you Dorky Dad, I think that road construction -- not genetics -- may be the leading cause of male pattern baldness.