Wednesday, March 07, 2007

The numbers don't lie but I wish they did

Hey, I watch TV but the fact that the top six shows last week cater to the lowest common denominator (Hell, three of them feature a guy who made his name with the phrase "You might be a redneck if...") and that makes me uneasy to say the least. What's even more troubling is the fact that over 30 million people in America are apparently interested in 24 untalented hacks who get "judged" by two has-beens in the music business and one shrewd businessman who wouldn't know a talented singer if one punched him square in the taint. Then there's the host, the metrosexual who thrives on having his face everywhere and probably masturbates to the sound of his own voice. That's right, "American Idol".

When was the last time that one show so dominated American pop culture? When was the last time that one television network scrapped the bulk of its primetime schedule to shove the voices of untalented wannabes down the collective throats of the country? As bad as the music business is with the nearly complete failure of the compact disc, the throngs of people turning off their radios and the my-ification of music, do these naive little kids actually expect to make a career out of an appearance on a TV show?

While over 30 million tune in to watch American Idol each of the three nights it airs, why are they tuning in? Are they there to watch for the second when the dreams of these unabashedly stupid kids are cushed by angry Brit Simon Cowell? Do people watch to see how over-medicated or obviously drunk Paula Abdul is? Or do folks tune in to root for their favorite in the competition? If I watched, I know what my answer would be and if you read this or know me personally, you know too.

4 comments:

Hill said...

I am extremely proud to say I have never watched it. And never will.

Sornie said...

I think I watched one season and part of another but only because of my wife. I have now squashed that habit and she has moved on to bigger and better television habits. Congrats on avoiding the most brainless and cult-like of all TV shows.

Hammer said...

I've never seen the show, but it's in the news so often I feel like I know all about it.

RaceyGirl said...

American Idol makes me want to stab myself in the face. I have no idea where culture is going, all I watch on TV is House and Scrubs. I like real entertainment...