Monday, October 09, 2006

And the weather is about to change

Why, dear God, is the weather such a topic of conversation? Is it because it's safe and unoffensive to all? Is it because everyone deals with it on a daily basis? Is it because some idiotic Minnesotans obsess over it to an almost fanatical level?

Take, for instance, a co-worker at my office. I have seen him, in one day, check weather.com, accuweather.com and kare11.com multiple times to see what his precious weekend will be like even after others just blurt out "heard it's gonna rain this weekend" and spoil the poor guy's surprise for him. He still acts as if nobody muttered a word and forges ahead acting surprised to learn that, in fact, it's gonna rain.

Today I heard the forecast multiple times. That happens if you listen to a radio for any amount of time. I don't think three snowflakes spread across the daylight hours of Wednesday in th heart of Minnesota are going to phase me. Sure, they might throw half of the citizens here into a full-blown panic attack but I think I'll survive with the knowledge I've gleaned from driving in the dozen winters that came before this one. I can boisterously say, as I puff my chest out, that inclement weather has only caused me to miss one day of work EVER. Hell, there are people that live two blocks from work that have missed a day due to the weather.

Jesus tapdancing christ, I am sick of forecasts coming from people that have enough computing power to solve mathematical equations that haven't even been thought up yet. When I was growing up, the local TV station had a 'weather girl' and didn't break the bank to employ a meteorologist until the late 1980s. We survived, hell we THRIVED.

And if you want to obsess about the weather, I know a guy that you would get along with famously.

3 comments:

No said...

Oh, mother of God, I'm missing the accuweather...what channel was that on anyway?...all that accuweather talk was kind of addicting..was that on the 5?

No said...

woops..I guess that was on the 11...maybe all Minnesota channels talk about the accuweather to an excessive degree? (No pun intended--you know, degree-weather...ha, ha)...time for a little intervention, don't you think?...

Chris said...

Aw heck, I do that too in the spring and fall. I desperately wanna go ride my motorcycle and will check the weather every hour, hoping for an extra degree or two of blessed warmth...