Monday, April 11, 2005

Porch Monkey - derogatory or not

There was a time in my life (high school to be specific) that the mere mention of the phrase 'porch monkey' instantly conjured up an image an African-American man and likely a group of his 'home boys' sitting on the front stoop sipping on a bottle of Schlitz Malt Liquor.

Now that I am considerably more experienced in both race relations and the world in general, I have changed my outlook on that aforementioned term to a rather humorous outlook.

As I began writing this, I did so because our newly acquired home has a front porch. It spans the entire width on the home and is rarely used as an entrance because of our garage being located behind the house. Upon noticing this fact early in the day Saturday, as I wiled away the noon-time hour watching TV of little importance, the innocent thought of a monkey taking up residence on our porch popped into my head. I laughed out loud as I vaulted from the couch to further explore the possibilities of our porch, knowing all too well that it was just a fantasy. My dreams of having my very own porch monkey would never come true. The wife simply wold never allow something so 'out there', especially from my wacked out mind.

Some good did come from this. While searching for 'porch monkey' links, I came across this one which would make one helluva tasty cocktail.

No comments: