Monday, March 28, 2005

Questioning actions leads to dismissal

"He got real mad at me when he was questioning me about the whole thing, because he was like, 'You really don't understand why we're here?' and I was like, 'Well, no.' "

As Predmore recalled, his commander said the United States was in Iraq because of 9/11.

"And I said, 'With all due respect, sir, we're in the wrong country then, because the last thing I remember, 15 of the 19 hijackers were from Saudi Arabia.' "

That is an excerpt from a Slate story about one soldier's duty in Iraq and the actions which he took that led to his being discharged. The letter which led to him being called on the carpet by his superior ran in his hometown newspaper, the Peoria Journal-Star, and was seen by a retired Army general.

My question is this... when someone questions the actions of their employer (in this case the US military), is it normal action for them to be dismissed?

Please enlighten me...

No comments: