Friday, December 03, 2004

Green Day - part of everyone's "Must-Have" list

SO, after rehasing so many news items with precariously few words, I am gonna dig deep. I haven't written much from my heart since being married but even less since we've been house hunting.

I did, however, write about a couple new tunes this week that have sparked my interest but the one item I would really like to purchase (besides the wife's Christmas and birthday gifts - only 3 days apart) is the new Green Day CD. It is classified, by the band themselves in their latest interview in Spin, as a rock opera. That alone has me curious. I have scoped it out on iTunes once or twice and noticed that the songs broken into separate tracks have two titles for the most part and clock in at around 8-9 minutes. I can only assume, being that I am an uneducated music fanatic, that the two songs mesh into one monolithing opera of sweet, sweet rock goodness as only Green Day can pull of in 2004.

It truly takes balls, especially being classified as a punk bank even though they lean towards the rock category for much of their music, to take a risk such as something this experimental. It appears to be working as they are getting alot of radio play with "American Idiot", "Boulevard of Broken Dreams", Wake Me Up When September Ends" and "Jesus of Suburbia". I've only heard three of the four which are readily available through radio play and download in my Twin Cities area but am greatly impressed.

I first came to like Green Day's music during the 9th and 10th grade years of my high school career when "Dookie" was a new CD. It almost makes me cry when I still hear a few tracks such as "Basketcase" and "Longview" still being played in regular rotation on the radio today. They seem just a popular now as they did 9-10 years ago.

Their next CD which featured "Brainstew" took longer for me to warm up to. It didn't contain the same vein of music that made me fall in love with Green Day.

It wasthe next CD entitled "Nimrod", though, that made everyone notice the band. "Time Of Your Life" (Good Riddance) was the slow ballad that defined the spring of 1998. I remember seeing Green Day perform at the final Edge Fest (after the demise of 93.7 The Edge but during the height of Zone 105 FM). It was amazing to see tens of thousands of fans clear the hill of the ampitheater, forming a rushing wave of bodies as they filled every inch of space infront of the mammoth stage. It left that much more room for us on the slopes to enjoy the music without getting a face full of dust and bruised ribs. I still remember the amazing 50 minute set they played that sunny Memorial Day weekend. The hits from that CD just kept coming. I still like to cue up those tracks on the iPod and rock out like I was 19 years old. (Key Track - "Worry Rock")

I remember, too, being 21 years old when I picked "Warning". I went all out and bought the super-deluxe pecial packaging which contained a bound book of about 60 pages of liner notes which I still haven't looked at in any depth. I think I will have to get around to that. The memories of screaming and jumping to the powerful lyrics of "Minority" are so fresh they seem to have happened just yesterday. I remember catching part of the band's unveiling of some select tracks on an MTV special where they played them live for the captive audience. That CD had some serious staying power. The melodic power of "Waiting" which I just cued up in iTunes had such a powerful video. I recall it being of a man going through his average day. It was simple and powerful. It had every mundane and minute detail right down to the hideous bed which he woke up and went to sleep on.

"International Superhits" was the cookie-cutter retrospective/greatest hits CD. It was a rehashing of what I already owned but for those who didn't bother to purchase the "Angus" sountrack, it was worth it. SImply for the fact that "J.A.R." (Jason Andrew Relva) is one of the best tracks from a soundtrack to date. It is short and powerful - it is what punk music with a tinge of pop was meant to be in the mid-1990's. It's one of those songs with the fastest drums and guitars that I can listen to over and over again.

Then there is the band's latest CD, "American Idiot". I can't provide any more insight than I already have but I would say it's on my MUST-HAVE list.

1 comment:

H.U.T.S. said...

I have this CD and did a review of it on my blog awhile back. It is well worth the money and the entire CD blends well together. It flows throughout CD from one song to the next. I tried to listen to it in random order the other day and it didn't work. It stands better as a whole in succession than as individual tracks, definitely and opera worth listening too.