Monday, December 06, 2004

Darts, beer and a wall

You've never slept until you've slept half way through a Sunday afternoon. I figure that I deserved this extended period of rest after being up until nearly 4 AM the night before. In the back of my mind, I think I planned for it. As I went to bed at 4 AM, I shut off all possible sources of light and did everything short of boarding up the windows or painting the glass black. It was a wonderful thing, really.

It all stemmed from attending a thirtieth birthday party for my recently acquired sister in law. We never did make it to a third bar but had plenty of time spent at the first two - both of which were in rather small towns. She was fed a variety of drinks as I wasted away the time playing pool and darts - neither of which went too well.
If you've ever played darts and thrown with any degree of inaccuracy, you can envision the results of throwing a dart at full speed into a wood-paneled wall. Amazingly, though, the tip didn't break so I didn't have to grovel to the bartender that I needed a new tip for one of their oh-so-precious bar darts. That's a level of incomeptence I just don't care to share with the rest of the world.

After all, I should be rather good at playing darts. I used to play, a few years back, on a regular basis with a good friend of mine. He would invite people over and we would retreat to the basement to tell tall tales, drink beer and play darts. We wasted many Friday and Saturday nights with activities like this. But it never translated to much in the way of success in my dart-playing abilities.

Ah, it is amazing how an event from five years agao can relate to the events of only hours ago. It also reminds me that if we successfully purchase the house we looked at for a second time this past Saturday, I need to find a home for my dart board which is currently living in a box.

1 comment:

Tinker said...

""You've never slept until you've slept half way through a Sunday afternoon. I figure that I deserved this extended period of rest after being up until nearly 4 AM the night before. In the back of my mind, I think I planned for it. As I went to bed at 4 AM, I shut off all possible sources of light and did everything short of boarding up the windows or painting the glass black. It was a wonderful thing, really.""

I can relate to this when I stay up late on a saturday night blogging and searching the web!