Wednesday, November 24, 2004

Dessert... and more dessert

Over the river and through the woods, to relatives' houses we go...

I suppose that song is fitting enough to describe the Thanksgiving Thursday plans of 2004. Yes, it is our first Thanksgiving as a married couple and that means some sort of bargaining session led to the decision about whose family's events to attend.

There was a mediator for both sides, a jury of impartial peers and a parade of unbiased judges which all led to the verdict. Mary originally wanted to go to her family's festivities at her parent's house. I said that was fine but that meant that next year was our turn to go to my family's event. She then did a total 180 and decided that next Thanksgiving she would officially be an aunt with her twin sister being currently pregnant and decided to make the short jaunt to my family's thing just down the freeway from where we live.

I agreed and decided that this was a fine compromise with me. I love it when a situation is so easily resolved that it requires absolutely no work on my part. Just shaking my head in agreement.

She decided, and I agreed, that we would eat dinner, some dessert and chat a bit with my family then hop into the car and drive, you guessed it, over the river and through the woods to her parent's house for yet more dessert.

I think for a day in which there is the very real possibility of two desserts and maybe even two meal or at least one+leftovers that I will likely be sporting pajama pants which feature an elastic waistband with plenty of room for expansion. I can pull those damned things all the way over my nipples so I think they will confortably accommodate a bountiful harvest of holiday food.

I exercised last night, never mind that it was only for 15 minutes as I watched Scrubs, but it is a beginning and by doing that I can justify multiple servings of dessert tomorrow.

Wish me luck as I prepare to gorge myself on turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes with gravy, sweet corn, candied sweet potatoes, cranberry sauce, more turkey, some ham, another serving of mashed potatoes and gravy and of course dessert. With a variety of tasty pies, I will officially be in my very own personal nirvana. Heaven on earth, if you will.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

No comments: