Monday, November 22, 2004

Bad things happen to good people

The worst things happen to the best people.

I received the call on our drive from where I live with my wife to her parent's house so we could take her younger sister to a movie.

When the voice on the other end told the story, my heart hit the floor. The news was about my best friend's dad. I have known Softball Player Guy since we were in 7th grade. That's about 11 or 12 years by my rough count. We have been through it all together. We were even roommates for a few months. We have shared the bad times, too.

I was told on Saturday afternoon that his dad was rushed to Rochester, MN (presumably St. Mary's Hospital which is part of Mayo Clinic) with a severe case of pneumonia. Overnight, while in the Hospital where he had been for three days, one lung had filled with fluid.

Later that night, Electronics Tech Guy called me back to say that the doctors estimated that the stay would be at least two weeks and they were giving him a 50-50 shot of pulling through. I took the optimistic side of things for once and said that at least they were giving him a shot.

It's always sad when bad things happen to good people. Softball Player Guy's entire family has taken me, and others in our circle of friends, and treated us as one of their own children. Softball's mom was the vocalist at our wedding. His dad often lets us use his boat and the entire family welcomes a couple times each summer at their cabin on the lake. It dawned on me that you never truly appreciate things until they may slip away. I feel truly special that another family - one which I am in no way related to - has welcomed me. I hope for the best and hope that they can make the best of this holiday week and focus on hoping for the best rather than dwelling on the worst possible outcome. It would truly be a sad day if he should pass this far before his time.

I fear much the same for my own family. My dad was recently diagnosed with high blood pressure. I know that it is treatable but that leads me to worry about my parents, too. They are no longer young but still go about their daily business as if they were half their age.

The moral is to cherish what you have - you never realize how much you enjoyed it until it nearly slips away.

No comments: