Wednesday, November 10, 2004

Am I becoming a woman?

Last night (Tuesday) after watching 'Scrubs' on NBC, a friend of mine called. I answered the phone and we had a short discussion about that night's episode of 'Scrubs'. Usually, we would get together at my place to watch it together and experience some male bonding during the best half-hour of scripted comedy currently on the air. He couldn't make the 10 mile drive to my place so we watched it at our respective residences.

Immediately, upon picking up the phone, Mary started ribbing me. Calling us girls and mocking me saying that I was talking to my lover. She can be so damn mean sometimes but I take it because we love each other. Upon thinking about last night's events this mornings, it made me wonder - Am I Becoming a Woman?

Am I? I am not sure. My pecs have become larger to approximately the size of A-cup breasts. That may be a sign but it may also be from my violent swings between rabid exercise and day after day of inactivity.

Maybe it's my TV habits. I watch, religiously, The OC, Lost, Desperate Housewives, Everwood and on occasion One Tree Hill. These shows could definitely be considered geared towards a female audience but doe swatching them make one feminine? I would say that watching a show like Gilmore Girls is one step away from buying a pretty little yellow sundress and sashaying out the door for a facial.

The shows I listed do not fit into the facial while wearing sundress category.

Could my grooming habits be considered feminine? I would say no. The wife would say yes. Sure, I have bath beads. The last time I used them was about 6 months ago. I have cologne, shave regularly, have a male body spray or two sitting around and use gel in my hair. I do, however, change my own oil and wash my own car. I even help on my parent's farm when needed (that's been a couple of years but it's the distance thing).

If my TV watching and grooming habits make me feminine, Mary will just have to accept the fact that she married a fancy boy. Which she didn't.

1 comment:

Tinker said...

No you are not becoming a woman. It is called metrosexual. I think that is a good thing. Men need to attention to themselves and take care of themselves and show a little more emotion. It is a very good thing.

Etymology
Blend of metro, city, and heterosexual.

There is some discussion about this definition indicating earlier uses of the term.
Created by Mark Simpson (http://www.marksimpson.com/pages/journalism/metrodaddyspeaks.html) in July 2002 in an article (http://www.salon.com/ent/feature/2002/07/22/metrosexual/) for the US based web site Salon.com (http://www.salon.com/).
His own definition is "The typical metrosexual is a young man with money to spend, living in or within easy reach of a metropolis -- because that's where all the best shops, clubs, gyms and hairdressers are. He might be officially gay, straight or bisexual, but this is utterly immaterial because he has clearly taken himself as his own love object and pleasure as his sexual preference. Particular professions, such as modelling, waiting tables, media, pop music and, nowadays, sport, seem to attract them but, truth be told, like male vanity products and herpes, they're pretty much everywhere."
[edit]
Noun
metrosexual (plural metrosexuals)

A young, urban professional, usually male and heterosexual, concerned with self-image, self-indulgence and money.
A young man who is seen, sociologically, as having attributes common to homosexuals, but is in fact heterosexual.