Tuesday, July 06, 2004

What a weekend!

It was an event-filled weekend no matter how you look at it. I spent the weekend with my fiancee and parts of her family for a long but interesting trip to the tourist-trap called South Dakota. Nothing says kitsch like seeing billboards for the infamous gift shop known as Wall Drug for the entire stretch of Interstate 90 (the first one appears in my original home of Austin, MN - some 500+ miles away)(actually 476 miles - thanks Mapquest). That wasn't the only non-attraction advertised along that barren stretch of freeway. Another was for some car museum in Murdo which is home to "Betty" (?) from "Gone in 60 Seconds" as well as the rebellious "General Lee" from "Dukes of Hazzard" fame. Other money leeching locales include the Reptile Gardens, Bear Country USA and even the $8 charged for admission to view Mount Rushmore in and around Rapid City, SD. It also rained which dampened spirits and sent tempers flaring at times.

All in all it wasn't a bad trip... I probably looked miserable but half as much sleep as normal will do that. It is something that I will eventually do again with Mary but on our own and staying away from the gimmicks and finding the natural beauty hidden amongst the kitsch. I would also like to break up the driving. Especially on the return trip which, including stops, tallied in at just over 12 hours. I think I drove about 9 of those hours - not my cup of tea on minimal sleep.

A V.P. announcement

I'll fill in the juicy bits here later but around 7:30 on the local morning news I heard that John Kerry had chosen John Edwards as his number two guy - AKA Vice President/running mate. I agree wholly with the choice as they seem to compliment each other and complete a diverse package. With Kerry from the north and Edwards from the (somewhat) south, they have the beginnings to beat the Shrub (Bush) and the Insaney (Cheney). Plus they are both John, how damn cool is that?

********

I also made a purchase in my sleep deprived mode last night but it's a secret. I can't tell you and spoil the surprise. All I will say is that it went on my trusty, overloaded credit card.

Check back for more a bit later.

No comments: