Friday, July 02, 2004

The Coz in the news

Storied entertainer, actor and comedian Bill Cosby is back in the news for more comments that would be taken as extremely racist if said by a caucasian individual. I am a fan of Cosby and have followed his career from early standup comedy I had as a child on cassette through his self-named TV show on CBS which ended a mere few years ago.

I do agree somewhat with his comments in which the following was said...

"I can't even talk the way these people talk, 'Why you ain't,' 'Where you is' ... and I blamed the kid until I heard the mother talk," Cosby said then. "And then I heard the father talk ... Everybody knows it's important to speak English except these knuckleheads. You can't be a doctor with that kind of crap coming out of your mouth."


It is seen as urban language and the sad fact is that this way of speaking is commonly accepted on "the streets". It is in hip-hop music and is being portrayed on the new FOX TV show "Method & Red" staring rappers Methodman and Redman. It is on the radio and it just isn't being heard on hip-hop radio stations, the music has crossed into the mainstream and is today's "pop" music. I will admit that even I have been sucked in to some degree. I listen to portions of the music only because as I stated a few days earlier, it is all that seems to be new in this stagnant culture we live in.

If we educate all races equally and stop looking at African-Americans only as rappers and sports stars, things will then change. It is still the same sort of stereotypes from the 1950's, they have just morphed somewhat.

Equal opportunity and equal stereotypes for all!

Read the Bill Cosby story in its whole form here.

No comments: