Friday, April 30, 2004

It's my life

I got angry today. I was listening to my local so-called alternative radio station to win concert tix or a CD and a chance to a huge music festival far, far away and a song from my past came on. I have always had a place in my heart for Green Day. They are sort of the pioneers of modern-day punk/alternative music and I respect that. What I don't respect, however, is the bastardization of their music. I can see the editing of some words and phrases. As George Carlin would say, the big seven.

THe song that got me to tense up some was "Longview". It was a huge hit off the band's first major label release, Dookie. If I remember right, I was a sophomore in high school when this song was huge. The main theme in the song is self-love. There's simply no hiding this. To put it plainly, MASTURBATION. Oh crap, not masturbation. Oh no, not THAT word. Whatever will we do, little Johnny does that - he'll be blind in a week! Hell, everyone does it. They'd be lying if they said they didn't. Little Johnny didn't pick up this habit from music, so why in the hell is this song suddenly without the intrical line "When masturbation's lost it's fun" you're ****** ****. Fill in the blanks, you'll have about seven seconds of dead air to do so.

So, who's to blame? Was it the sudden appearance of Janet Jackson's tit? Not too fucking likely. It's the FCC, they just used her tit as a big reason to oppress the man (the man being EVERY American citizen, both male & female). Ever since the regulations regarding ownership of various forms of media were relaxed under the Telecommunications Act of 1996, we've become an increasingly oppressed country. I remember when you could have a song on the radio - in 1996 - where the word MASTURBATION was included in the lyrics. Not now! Whoa, no words like that. But it's OK to have a show featuring FIVE flamingly gay men on expanded basic cable. You just can't say masturbation.

Don't blame me, I don't have tits. Blame the FCC.

Back on Monday.

No comments: