Saturday, February 21, 2004

Alright. I promised more next week but you are in for a treat today. I was bored and after eating a late lunch I decided to see what was on TV. Nothing. Nothing short of nothing. A WHOLE lotta crap. It almost makes me sick that people pay to advertise during such pointless drivel.

I proceeded to rummage through my DVDs. I found SLC Punk - had almost forgotten I owned it. It has been a long time since I last watched this one. And today seemed like a decent day to watch it as the girlfriend was out of town buying wedding-related stuff. She DESPISES this movie in particular. Some deep seeded hatred tying back to her early college years and someone she knew then if my memory is remotely correct.

I, on the other hand, love it. It is one of those avant garde style movies. Alot of to-camera narration and a cast of interesting characters to say the least. The main character, Stevo, has one mission in life. Anarchy. A society without rules. Chaos. The odd part, when a character (Brandy) towards the end of the movie picks his theories apart, is that he is no different on the inside than the majority of society. The point she makes is that he spends so much time and effort building his exterior image that he is not really supporting any cause in particular.

It boils down to a true meaning. I think it relates to my life too. In my way of life, I resist the mainstream. I am not into "trendy" clothes. Can't quite tolerate the whole MTV culture. I have always been a sort of an outsider. I grew up in the country (not in town). Had a select few friends who I chose rather carefully. We still, for the most part, get along well and keep in touch. Some of us live in different towns - myself included - but make time to spend with each other when it really counts. We grew up together just like the two lead characters in SLC Punk. I know if one of us ever fell, the other would be there to help in some way.

The beliefs of Stevo are actually somewhat like mine. I despise or government with ever fiber of my being. On the opposite end of the spectrum, I realize that only the people who are part of our government have the influence to change it. Sure, our country was founded on the whole "Government of the people, by the people, for the people" line of crap but things have changed in the past two-hundred and some odd years. I vote because as a citizen I see it as speaking my mind. In the end my vote means crap when it comes to electing our president but I see it my way of expressing just how damn angry I am. Our country was once a great place but I wasn't alive before every elected position was bought off to some degree. I am only 24 years old and the buying of political offices was taking place long beofre I was born. Corruption at every level of power is a fact, not a myth.

It turns out that the only way to be true to a cause is by what is inside. The exterior of a person is just a facade, covered by clothes, hair and make-up. The stuff on the outside can be bought and sold. The inside is all your's. Nobody can change what's inside by buying something at a store. Your beliefs and what you fight for are on the inside. It's your's to choose. I choose to believe that our government is, in one word, evil. They are not looking out for the population as a whole, they are using their positions of power to line their own filthy pockets with money accepted in the form of bribes. It's a bunch of crap. Sort of makes me want to leave the country and renounce my citizenship. The government has os much control, it can be a bit scary. I listen to but one hour of what could be considered liberal talk radio each day. Oh my god, not left wing propaganda. Ah, fuck off you damn conservatives, republicans, whatever you like to be called. I'll just call you evil for now until I can come up with something better and more descriptive. My liberal talk radio is the only program heard in its genre where I live. It takes guts being a radio programmer to carry a program like this in a world saturated with conservative republican-minded radio. I just hope that the station's recent sale to a Christian broadcaster isn't the end of all good things.

Stay tuned.

No comments: