Monday, January 26, 2004

It snowed today. It snowed all day. It snowed while I slept. It snowed while I worked. It snowed in quite a few places. Last time I checked, it's still snowing outside. Which is better than it snowing inside. That's an important point. Why do people feel that it's necessary to tack the word 'outside' to the end of the sentence "It's snowing"? I guess it does make for a more complete sentence but is it really necessary? In today's hurried world we need to start trimming unnecessary words to shorten sentences and make them, just like the rest of our lives, more productive.

Productive, streamlined sentences sounds like a GREAT idea. It could make up for the things in our lives that are unnecessarily lengthy. An hour-long church service that at its shortest in my memory has clocked in at only 1 hour and 15 minutes. Typically it runs longer. I grew up with the typical Sunday church service only lasting one hour. It seemed long at the time but, oh, how I was wrong. Tack another 15 minutes onto that and it starts to become obvious that to make up for this we need to do something.

We need to start shortening our sentences. Trim the fat from them so to speak. But the question remains... where do we start? Take this one for instance... "I'm going to run to the store for eggs, milk and bread." My, my - where to begin? So much excess here. Try this on for size after I ran it through my sentence streamliner... "Goin' to store." It answers every question you could come up with. Where are you going? Why, to the store of course. What are you doing at the store? I am going there. It really doesn't get much simpler than that, does it? How many minutes and words could you save in the average day by just cutting a few words? Words that could be better used in more social situations. Situations where those saved words could impress someone quite important. Words left over from the sentence we just streamlined could be used in such a situation. How handy, in an important social situation, would the words "I'm to run to the for eggs, milk and bread" be to you? Invaluable, of course!

In all reality, some people already speak like my example. We call them rednecks. Yes, rednecks. Rednecks could be defined as someone who has a pet rooster who sleeps closer to said redneck than said redneck's own wife (or husband). Rednecks know no geographical boundaries. I have seen their dwellings across many states. Iowa seems to be a popular residence for them. Maybe the laws of "shacking up" with poultry are more relaxed than in a state such as Minnesota. Of course the playful joshing between Minnesota and Iowa has been going on as long as I can remember. I first heard my anti-Iowa joke in first grade. It may have been more important because the town I attended school in was only 12 miles from Iowa. Just far enough away to be safe from the border gates. A popular myth that some on the lower end of the food chain just may believe.

Speaking of food chain, I must now think about what I will be eating during my day at work tomorrow. Now I wrap today's entry up and look foreward to brushing more fresh snow from my car in the morning and facing what I hope are better driving conditions. I don't mind the snow one bit. I actually like it in some sort of twisted way. It's a refreshing change of pace from the everyday cold of winter. Now it's snow and the everyday cold. Though the snow makes it feel warmer and somehow cleaner, too. Find out about tomorrow's adventures when else, TOMORROW.

Stay tuned.

No comments: